The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give Ms Honeydoe a PM and ask her to join me on a squirrel hunt today.
We met up at Gander Mountain early this morning and headed down to Green Co on the property that I have permission to hunt. We had a great time and connected on squirrels!

This was her first squirrel hunt so I taught her how to feild dress her squirrel and she could do the next ones she shot. We ended up spending 4 1/2 hours in the woods, moving through them at 1 hour intervals.

I did miss 2 though.
I was shooting the 20 gauge and she had her 22. She's going to upload the pics since I can't get them to send to my email.

I had so much fun with you today Honeydoe!!! We have to do it again when the men are at work or asleep!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Funny you say or asleep. Mine is napping next to me now while I'm uploading and getting ready to go out. Lol But yes, we definitely need to go again. Had way too much fun!!!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hubby is asleep too! He goes back to work tonight!

I had a great time! It was so nice to have you with me and share in your first experience! We'll be tree ratting buddies now!

·
Registered
78 Posts

I thought she wanted to hang out a bit.

Janie showing off get two squirrels!

Me and my little squirrel!

My squirrel and I. Sounds like a good movie title.

ZOMBIE SQUIRRELS!!!

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Congratulations ladies. Looks like you had a terrific time. Nice to see ladies taking advantage of what PA. has to offer.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Dale! We had a BLAST! Those squirrel did too!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a really beautiful day today. I was a little worried last night that we may have gotten rained on but it didn't! Just a few drops from the leaves as they blew in the wind.

Something special about Fall that I love so much! The leaves are so colorful and the smell, it's really special to me. There is nothing else like it in this world!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for posting! I'm new but my goal is squirrel hunting so this inspires!!! I was feeling lost in the details of learning and preparing and this reminds me of what it's all for!

EDIT: That was a lot of exclamation points. Can you tell I really want to go hunt squirrel?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These guys are so easy to skin, even if they did get cold. A few years ago when I started, I went to youtube for tips and tricks and found this one where they cut the tail, you step on the tail and grab the back legs and pull up. It's like taking their shirts off. Pull their arms out and for the legs, I cut the skin near their belly, enough to grab ahold and pull down till I can get their legs out.

Nice and clean.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WestPhillyFam said:
Thanks for posting! I'm new but my goal is squirrel hunting so this inspires!!! I was feeling lost in the details of learning and preparing and this reminds me of what it's all for!

EDIT: That was a lot of exclamation points. Can you tell I really want to go hunt squirrel?
This was Honeydoe's first squirrel hunt and she asked me what to do before we went and I told her, find a nice spot in the woods early morning or in the evening and just watch for them. That's how you do it. If I don't see anything in an hour or so, I move to another spot and that's what we did today.

I missed 2 squirrels though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
That one on the right is nice and chunky. Did you eat them yet? I think we will try hunting with our beagle mix and see if she makes a good squirrel dog. All indications are that she'd be great, but we'll have to see what it's like in the woods.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one on the right in the last pic was big. She had nipples and a fat layer under her skin when I dressed her out. I think she was a mama.

I am freezing them and going back out next week.

I made a nice squirrel stew a couple years ago in the crockpot with stewed tomatoes, garlic and veggies over brown rice. It was really good. The dogs thought they were their dinner because they eat RAW. I told them not tonight!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Very nice. Great to see the ladies out there enjoying the fall woods.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts