The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This plot is L shaped. The North Leg is a gas line right of way that fades into a large field. The East Leg has always been a hay field, but we turned it under and put in what we hope is going to be a very good plot. This plot was planted mostly with perennials including buck oats, 6 to 8 different types of clover, alfalfa, timothy, brassica, chickory, etc. We put over 1,000 lbs of lime on it and a little over 700 lbs of fertilizer.

The last couple of pics are of our annual food plot, which was planted a couple of months ago with purple top turnips.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

A pic of our purple top food plot.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
1000# of lime. Over how many acres? 10? What did the soil test recommend? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Do you find the brassicas and/or turnips are a good attractant/forage? I had a small plot of brassicas last year, and a few deer nipped at them, but nothing serious. There was a large cornfield nearby, so maybe they just preferred the corn? I don't know...I'm hesitant to put them in again, but wondered if I should try it again...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my opinion, Brassica Rapa is the turnip that the deer in our area prefer. Last year we planted the Brassica Rapa and it grew to between 12" and 18" fairly quickly. I was able to smell the brassica from well over 200 yards from the food plot. Unfortunately, I think every deer from miles could smell it as well and they wiped it out quickly. I mean nothing but stems within a 2 week period. I witnessed numerous deer laying in the Brassica on 90 plus degree days eating in circles around them because they were too lazy to stand.

This year, we planted Purple Top Turnips and they have done much better. While most any time of day I venture down onto the plot, deer are on it, I don't think there are as many as there were when the Brassica was growing. This is good as we are trying to get the turnips to survive long enough to produce actual turnips and a winter food source.

It should be noted that we have had perfect growing weather this year between rain and warm days, so I think the turnips have a better chance of survival.

I did a personal taste test on both the Brassica and the Purple Turnips and the Brassica is much sweeter. It tasted to me what I would imagine lettuce with sugar on it tasting like. I don't blame the deer for eating it

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Great looking turnip plot. yeah i have a feeling you will have a few interesting success posts come this season.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nice Plot, but it looks like someone stole all the rocks out of your fields.. I have plenty of extra, if you need them..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts