The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know he is just a holdover from the negihboring hunting lease's stocking last fall, but while I was up at the property last weekend the boy and I were working on the equipent and "cackle,cackle , caackle" came from down in the creekbottom....
, Man I miss hearing that sound.

Had the birds (3 roosters, 2 hens) around in the Fall for a few weeks after they dispersed from the stocking site and saw them up til about deer season in my pines and crabapples, but did not see them at all over the winter, nor their tracks...figured they became a meal.

I know that rooster has little chance to do what he wants to do..but God Bless em for trying. Hope to actually see him soon, he seems to actually be hanging out in there with the drummers????

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You are so right. It is way cool to hear those birds cackle. We plan on having a film crew go along on a crowing count survey next month. I will post the footage so you all can hear the wild birds crowing. I've got some stops that we should hear plenty of crowing on. You can log into our web page at http://www.centralsusquehannapf.org anytime if you want to hear the sound

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
These birds are amazing,think about the winter we just went through!I always have some hold over on my propery in Bradford County.It is one of the best sounds in nature!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Good to hear RB! I used to have a few pet bobwhite quail,
I miss hearing them whistling every morning in the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts