The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting SGL 230 a fair amount for pheasants this year, and have talked to several people who have found dead hens that have been shot and left on trails and other spots that are easy to see. I am thinking that these birds are shot by hunters who think that they made a mistake kill, only to waste an animal. I have also talked to people who didn't know that you could shoot hens, some people just don't know what WMU they are hunting in. Anyway would it be a bad thing to post a sign that says what WMU you are in, and if it is leagal to harvest hens

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Unreal. I took out a bunhof first timers (kids 12-16) last month where hens are illegal and not one hen was shot even though 5 were flushed.

Identify your target and know the laws for your area.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only if every one would read their book and know how to use a map to figure out what WMU you are in. I don't think that a GPS will tell you that

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I found the same thing going on in WMU 4B...

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1420000#Post1420000

Some just don't read the Comic Book!

Like I said in that post, I watched a young guy STUFF a hen he shot into a backpack and then tell me he did not want to waste it by letting it lay but did not want to get a fine for shooting it....And he was PERFECTLY LEGAL to shoot that Hen...but he NEVER sat down and READ WHERE hens were legal or he did and it didn't sink in because WMU 4B is not printed out where it saw hens are legal... guess they can not understand when it says ...
PHEASANT: Male only in WMUs 2A, 2B, 2C, 4C, 4E, 5A and 5B Male and female may be taken in all other WMUs– Oct. 24-Nov. 28.
That if they are NOT in WMUs 2A, 2B, 2C, 4C, 4E, 5A and 5B, then they can Legally Shoot Hens and should NOT let them lay for fear of getting a fine for shooting them!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey woody I think we are talking about the same spot, SGL 230 is in 4B. Crazy stuff happening there with the stolen, and broken into cars. I hunted with a guy on sat that had his car broken into. It is a shame that these birds are getting killed and just wasted, by idiots that don't take the time to read the comic book

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
brewyak said:
I have been hunting SGL 230 a fair amount for pheasants this year, and have talked to several people who have found dead hens that have been shot and left on trails and other spots that are easy to see. I am thinking that these birds are shot by hunters who think that they made a mistake kill, only to waste an animal. I have also talked to people who didn't know that you could shoot hens, some people just don't know what WMU they are hunting in. Anyway would it be a bad thing to post a sign that says what WMU you are in, and if it is leagal to harvest hens
Why spend sportsmens money for more signs when all of that info is already provided in the Hunting Digest.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand. I guess that since I read the digest I assume that everyone else does as well.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
They could have been shot by "people" dressed up like hunters and who are just killing for the "fun" of it. I don't like thinking this way - but let's remember the case in NW PA where they caught them kids shooting deer at night just to shoot them. I think that was last year or the year before.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True this is the same SGL that a truck was stolen and another broken into!! Just since small game started!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
brewyak said:
Hey woody I think we are talking about the same spot, SGL 230 is in 4B. Crazy stuff happening there with the stolen, and broken into cars. I hunted with a guy on sat that had his car broken into. It is a shame that these birds are getting killed and just wasted, by idiots that don't take the time to read the comic book
4B is a mighty Big Area!

As far as I can remember, I've Never hunted 230!

The SGL I was hunting is in 4B and isn't 230!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Heck of a lot of difference between actually having to get out of a vehicle and try to flush pheasants versus the two guys and their [censored] girlfriend riding around drinking and using drugs while spotlighting and shooting deer with a .22. Doubtful there's any correlation.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
Heck of a lot of difference between actually having to get out of a vehicle and try to flush pheasants versus the two guys and their [censored] girlfriend riding around drinking and using drugs while spotlighting and shooting deer with a .22. Doubtful there's any correlation.
Gotta agree with you on that one. Hunted a game land the other day. Busted my Butt for 2.5 hours in some nasty thicket and chest high grass. Its hard work.
But I loved it
One Hen flush and bagged
5 -C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts