The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Indiana store has never quit selling them. I have purchased a few there and saved money.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
My guess is they lost some pretty serious sales when they took guns out of most of the stores as well as majorly downsized the hunting selection period....funny that they removed the guns from. Some/most maybe even all walmarts? And now it looks like they are bringing them back...

They can order literally tons of different rifles and shotguns...and like was said, hard to find a better price...

Workers behind the counter aren't very knowledgeable...but if you know what you want and want to save cash, its an option...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The one in Saint Marys caries basic reloading supplies. Bullets,powder,presses,scales,dies, and brass.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I can't believe it I never, never, never thought there would be a Wal-Mart in SaintMary's. Couldn't believe I saw a Lowes in DuBois along I-80...later

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Change I don't know?? I want good stuff for all people and nice for everyone's money to go far. I think back when growin up how it was, nice little store for food, mom ran a tab and paid bill at end of month. I walked to school across farm field, never locked doors, knew everybody, most kids dads hunted no tree hugger's, pick-ups didn't have radios, crawled on hands and knees playin cars and trucks in dirt. all my buds had cap guns and bb dasy rifles, wiped our nose on our sleves, and God Bless America we had no Wal-Marts. No cell phones, Mac cards, credit cards, you younger guys will someday be thinkin back like me and wishin you paid the $100.00 more for rifle's from local gun shop. You guys liven out there country roads take me home, will remember days before Wal-Mart...later

·
Registered
838 Posts
Lebanon and Palmyra stores sell ammo, scopes and hunting gear but no guns. Dropped them several years ago.

When they had guns it was the same as other major products with them. Models were not quite the same as regular. Mass produced for WalMart which lowered price.

I bought a Marlin Stainless 22 semi auto with scope for $99 when you could not touch a similar weapon anywhere else under $130. Stock was a cheap wood instead of the laminate on the regular model.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I don't get your point here.Are you complaining because you saved $31 or complaining because you didn't spend $31 more?Maybe you are not complaining ,I don't know but you purchased a gun from there to save $31.I will say one thing competition breeds a better market place for all consumers even if they don't like Walmart.That means local gun shops keep thier prices lower to try to compete with all chain stores.Dunhams,bass pro,cabelas,gander mountain etc.The point is most guys think stores other than Walmart are great but they sell the same items as Walmart and believe it or not most local stores do.Service is the only difference.A manufacturer can't sell a firearm that will not function properly due to liability.The cosmetic aspect of wood does not come into play.Many guys seem to like synthetic now and that is way cheaper than wood.Oh that's right it's cheaper.So industry follows the trend.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
While I've never bought a firearm at Walmart, I have looked at what they have to offer, from time to time. Do buy much of my 22 ammo there.

Lots of "internet mythology" about firearms at Walmart, little of it is true.

I can think of several rifles that were/are available only at Walmarts: The Weatherby/Howa Vanguards once found there; a Winchester M70 synthetic; a Rem. M700 ADL laminated; one or two Ruger 10/22 variants come to mind, because those are the ones I have seen.

Most manufacturers will make runs of such special products for retailers and wholesalers and have for a very long time.

Grice's have long been offering Remingtons that never appeared in the standard Rem. catalog, still offers them from time to time. Same for some other large wholesalers and distributors, with S&W handguns and Rugers.

Every article I've read on the subject of Walmart offering "factory seconds" or cheap versions of common products, has indicated that a Remington at Walmart is the same as any other one. It might have a different stock or a different metal finish, but that's it.

But you can also buy "special" runs of M700s at Cabela's, Dick's, Gander Mtn. and several other chains, too. Same thing goes for unique Savages and other brands. Some chains have versions of firearms made for them, that will not be available elsewhere.

Same for rumors about factory second ammo. NO ammo manufacturer is going to risk a law suit by releasing substandard products. Walmart can sell some thing more cheaply than the shop down the street, because Walmart buys in huge volumes for all of its stores. Small shops may sell thousands of rounds of ammo per year...Walmart <u>buys</u> millions of rounds per years, for resale.

BTW, that Marlin M60 is still available in birch, laminated or synthetic stocks, last I knew? A buddy of mine had one many, many years ago, with a birch stock. Long before anyone around here had ever heard of a Walmart.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Denny, I think your right lots of truth to your post, I don't think Rem., Sav., or any other gun company would make an action with less quality just for the box stores, but I have heard that takes place with power tools?????later

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Our Wal-mart just brought back firearms, and already I am being pummeled with the "factory-seconds" line from some local folks...They just think that if they are getting a good deal,something MUST be wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts