The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told to always put a nail between the jaws of a trap before waxing. Does this hold for waxing soft catch traps? I kind of think I need to not use the nail so as to not get wax on the 'soft catch' portion of the traps. So, what do I do - nail or no nail for waxing soft catch traps? Please advise, veteran trappers. Thanks. wlhab

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not many visit this site ( pa trappres forum ), most visit the main forum ( hunting pa trapping forum ), thats why nobody has responded to your post. However if you are still looken for a answer, your right, don't use a spacer between the jaws.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Don't use anything to hold the jaws open because you will have enough trouble holding any animal with a soft catch. You don't need any wax to help them slip out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used them one time and stopped. If you catch above the pads(foot of fox) it seemed to me to cause unnessasary damage. The fox or coon could work thier limb back and forth.+ more losses. I use 1/ 1/2 traps--most time catch on pads without problems. I have had a few occasions fox somehow bound swivels and worked himself out on my approach with no worse for the wear--ran full on without any notice of problems( If you have yotes in your area might need #2 ( someone else can speak to that-never caught one in my area) My personal opinion is soft catch is a feel good thing but not good in the field. Just my opinion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts