The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I can make about 8 pounds of waxed dirt from 5 pounds of flake wax. The flake wax I'd $15 for 5 pounds.
I can buy 20 pounds of waxed dirt for $20.
What am I not seeing here? I'm sure not going to spend the time to get more for less.

·
Super Moderator
12,956 Posts
Your missing 2-3x or even more the dirt...

I know my 5 gallon bucket full of waxed dirt is pretty heavy...that's 5# ofnwax give or take...so for 15$ i have more dirt..i don't know the difference...it may or may not be worth the time to make it...good dry sifted dirt is the hard part for me...gotta remember to make it in the summer time!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i use 3/4 lb of wax per GALLON of dirt. your 5 lb of wax should get you about 6.5 GALLONs. you can still make dry dirt now esp. if its windy. spread it thin on a tarp and rake it around. if not dry at the end of the day fold the tarp over it at night and respread it the next day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, so I can expect to get around 7 pounds of waxed dirt for $15 in wax plus my time to make it?
Or I can buy 20 pounds of freeze proof dirt for $20.
I think I'm gonna order some remade and see what I think of it. Anybody have any experience using freeze proof dirt? FnT has it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boss Hen said:
Maybe I'm thinking wrong but my 5 gallon buckets of wax dirt weighs a lot more than 7 pounds I don't know the exact weight but it is pretty heavy
Most recipes I've seen call for about 3/4 of a pound of wax per pound of dirt. Following those instructions there is no way to do a 5 gallon bucket of dirt. But, if it works that's a lot better deal, is your dirt completely waxed, no dust? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,956 Posts
I mix mine about a gallon of dirt to pound of wax...maybe even a little extra dirt..there is no dust...looks like wet dirt when its done...

So yes..5# of wax will do a 5gal bucket...and like was said...it weighs a good bit...not sure how much but I'd bet 30+ pounds...gallon of water weighs like 7-8# off the top of my head...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw man, I just figured it out. I had a pound of dirt stuck in my mind, not a gallon. I've been thinking ' how the heck is 5 pounds of dirt gonna fill a 5 gallon bucket?'. I will pay ya all not to tell my wife she married an idiot.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The standard starting mix for waxed dirt is 1 gallon dirt 1 lb. wax if it is loam soil.
Sand 1/4 lb wax to 1 gallon sand.
Waxed dirt weighs 7 to 8.5 lb. per gal.
At a $1.00 a lb commercial what you are paying for is time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.