The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What,s the best way to keep Wax Worms? How long can you expect them to keep? Thinking about stocking up before the first day of trout get,s here.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I usually put mine in the fridge.. I can keep them for a month or so before they start to die... pick out the dead ones and they last longer.. leaving them out in a warm room turns them into files/bees/whatever they are with wings lol

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you are going out the first day on saturday it has always been my experience for stocked trout to use powerbait then after a few weeks or months use natural like worms.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
please believe me when i'm not trying to sound negative or talk down to anybody when I say this but you can catch stock trout on a bare hook.. My cousin has a competition each year at his fishing weekend campsite on who can catch a trout on the most odd thing.. last year was a gum wrapper, gum, yarn, bare hooks as well as a piece of hot melt glue..

with that being said.. if you'd like to use waxies go ahead.. get em now and keep em cool.. power bait is sticky and nasty! lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good replies, Thanks! This happens to me every year at this time. I start thinking about what bait to use or something a little different. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
spangler2k3 said:
please believe me when i'm not trying to sound negative or talk down to anybody when I say this but you can catch stock trout on a bare hook.. My cousin has a competition each year at his fishing weekend campsite on who can catch a trout on the most odd thing.. last year was a gum wrapper, gum, yarn, bare hooks as well as a piece of hot melt glue..

with that being said.. if you'd like to use waxies go ahead.. get em now and keep em cool.. power bait is sticky and nasty! lol
none taken.I know the one guy that was fishing on mentored youth the same area I was fishing his whole group of 5 caught 238 trout on power bait.

·
Registered
129 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Keep them cool and dry. Sometimes the refrigerator can be to damp for them.
X2 its the dampness that does them in. I keep mine in the gun cabinet with the dehumidifier and 500 will last me all season.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't you think thats actually a good idea to have the fish like that for a mentored youth fish though? Let them get a little fun in??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts