The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waxed traps last night and hung over night, I set them out today but I could still smell the "hot wax" smell to them. I didn't scorch the wax but it smells like a fresh wax still. Will I get dug up?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Guess you will find out. I know I have heard guys waxing or diping one day and setting the next and not having a problem with it. I personally like to let mine air for awhile.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
When waxing traps, you should never let the wax get so hot that it starts to smoke. That's what causes the smokey smell plus it can be a fire hazard.

My traps are boiled in a metal tub over an open fire but the traps are waxed on a gas stove so I can control the heat. A smaller pot makes for a much longer process but a much safer one as well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
All wax is not equal. Aired out is best.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Mathews94 said:
I waxed traps last night and hung over night, I set them out today but I could still smell the "hot wax" smell to them. I didn't scorch the wax but it smells like a fresh wax still. Will I get dug up?
What wax did you use? Like Kip said not all waxes are oder free.
To be odor free you need a pure paraffin with a low oil content that has been kept away from contamination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts