The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought waxed dirt in the past. Decided to make some on my own. If I recall the dirt I purchased was drier than what I have now. If I let it under the glass longer will it get dryer? Does this look OK? I am sure I have plenty of wax to dirt.
Bumper Automotive exterior Cuisine Vehicle door Auto part

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Here’s my experience……putting dirt under glass to melt wax, you’ll see the glass sweating, condensation forms, doesn’t seem to work.

I’ve found the easiest way is to heat dirt /with wax is with a propane turkey cooker stand with a bottle of propane. I use an old canner to heat up dirt with wax. A microwave works well too, for small batches. If you have access to a cement mixer and a good heat source, even better.

I know that you can use sunlight to melt wax into dirt…..but I’m done with that method. It never worked out for me.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Put some water to the dirt and see if it beads off like it's supposed to. Also, if I were to go that method I would put on a tarp and spread it out and let it bake in the sun all day to get the moisture out of it. Then gather it up and try the method you are using. To see if it's dry enough take a small batch and put it in the freezer and see if it clumps up. My guess is your good though. Good luck

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Warm your dirt first, then add wax and stir or mix during heating to get a good blend. Dirt will get a bit darker.
Spread out mixture to a thin layer to cool.

After waxed dirt cools-
Make a mini volcano. Pour water in top. If it holds water, you are good to go.

Is that waxed dirt in your picture?
In any event, before adding wax, make sure your dirt is sifted and dried.

·
Premium Member
24,422 Posts
When I would use waxed dirt I mixed it in an old stock pot on an old coleman stove in my shed. I sorta got the idea at one of Dutch’s Dutch Days in Juniata County!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts