The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you using and why? i've always used sno seal but ran out many years ago, found it again at dunhams 4.99 a jar. love the stuff

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
I use mink oil.
Waterproofs and keeps leather supple.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I've always used SnoSeal as well. Really works well especially if you heat the boots with a blowdryer or set them in front of a heating register.

·
Registered
216 Posts
when i was a kid we used deer fat cooked down to a thick paste worked great. smelled bad when cooking though.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
When I was in college, I tried waterproofing my boots with silicone sealer...I rubbed it in, and when I was done, they looked like a pair of shiny ,wet boots...The first time it rained I ran out and jumped in a puddle and my feet got soaked..

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
WexfordBowhunter said:
I've always used SnoSeal as well. Really works well especially if you heat the boots with a blowdryer or set them in front of a heating register.

I heat mine in the oven for a lil bit. I've used nothing but Sno Seal for many years.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
my only issue with sno seal is if you get the boot to drink too much, it seems to leak in thru the leather and saturate the insulation...my boots are way colder now that I have snosealed them...but i'd rather have cold and dry than cold and wet any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i always use bear lard.put my boots in front of the wood stove for heat,then apply the lard and return to the heat for the night.seems to work well

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We used Bee's Wax and a heat gun or blow dryer as kids. Sorrel boots used to come with a plastic pack of Bee's wax as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts