The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really want to get a small waterproof digital for in the field and day to day use. I have a digital camera but it's too big to slip in my pocket and take on stand.

Any recommendations?? I'm eyeballing the Olympus Tough 8000. Waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof (whatever that means)and would fit in my pocket.

I see canon, sony, and some others are out there too. anyone have experience with any of them good or bad??
Thx!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I have a Pentax Optio W20 that takes awesome pictures, both underwater and above water. Very small, compact, and a reasonable price. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
not too many small digital cameras that are waterproof, I know as you stated olympus makes them, but I have no experience with them..good luck!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll second the Pentax W20. Use mine to take pictures of fish and stream side insects. I've got pictures of fish under water as I bring them in. The macro mode works great. Even use it for pictures of flies I tie.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have a Fuji WP - not sure of the model number - but is it small enough for a shirt pocket and takes pretty good pictures. I bought mine at BJ's Warehouse this spring for about $170 - also claimed to somewhat shock proof and dirt proof.

Look them up on Ebay or Google, you should be able to find them. Overall, I like mine.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna look into the Pentax and Fuji too being the Olympus is the highest price. Thx All
The macro option would be nice for tiny close ups of aquatic bugs.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have the olympus stylus 1030sw. I picked it up when Circuit CIty was going out of business. It is 10.1 megapixel, waterproof to 33 ft, shockproof for 6.6 ft, crsuhproof up to 220 lbs, and is good to 14 degrees F. I also got the floatable leash strap so I can take it with when I am out on the kayak or canoe.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'll throw another vote in for the Olympus. I bought the 8000 a few months ago and have been very satisfied with it.
The only gripe I have with it is that when you use the digital zoom on far away subjects the picture looks blurry after you take it in the LCD display, but when you upload it to your computer it looks fine. I deleted a bunch of pics on the spot thinking they didn't come out clear but the ones I left on and looked at later were crystal clear. Now I snap away and with an 8GB card in it I can take over 3000 5MB pics which is where I leave it set at.
You will not be disappointed in the 8000.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
All of my pics have been on dry land but some in bad weather like rain and snow and it is great not having to worry about the camera. Plus they are easy to carry in a shirt pocket and you don't have to worry about perspiration. I havn't taken any pics under water yet but
here's some with the Olympus8000 my buddy has. They were taken on opening day of trout season last April.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
I have a wp olympus 850SW (i think). Has handled one year of sw harsh evironment & going strong.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
decided to go with the Pentax optio w80, and it just arrived last evening and think it's a great camera for a great price at 197.00. Suggested retail is $300. Time to go jump in the river and see how waterproof it really is

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Be sure to report bak how it handles the wet stuff...especially if used in wet stuff w/salt!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably won't hit anything with salt for a while, but then again could just fill the sink with water, add salt and see how it does

will have it out in the snow and cold the next couple days and it's supposed to operate well down to 14 degrees. We'll seeee.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
I was going through one (non-waterproof)digital a fishin season. My 850 has beat that by one season so far!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some pics from the camera. So far I like it and it did real well with temps in the teens. Pics turn out pretty nice but it's not a high end resolution and it works great for me.

Still hunted up on two groups of turkeys last Fri.. here's a couple of them

Shot from a sharpshooters bench on SGL

My sit for the last hour of the 2009 season. Deer could come from anywhere here, but none came from no where

nuther shot of the last evening sit

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Here's a few from my Olympus 850SW Waterproof Digital:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts