The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this question belongs here or not.
This is the first year we grew a garden at our house and i have no idea how to tell when the watermellons are ripe. Anyone have any advice???

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Thump them with the palm of your hand (sorta like pating a Baby's back to get them to Burp), if they sound Hollow, they are Ripe...also the vine should slip away from the watermelon Easily, not haveing to be Tugged and twisted to come off and the curl of the vine where it attachs to the melon should be dried up....check the underside of the melon where it lays against the ground, the spot should be sorta yellowish and not White!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
The thump test also works to pick a Ripe Watermelon in the Stores...

Set the watermelon down on the Floor and pat it, listen to the tump of the inside, put a few beside each other and test each one, take the 1 that soulds the Hollowest...

Oh for the days Gone By where they Cored the Melons for you to see if they were Ripe, I remember Burley's Fruit Stand in the Cove (north of Harrisburg) doing that to the watermelons!

It takes some time to get the hang of the Thump Test, but I'm Sure Glad every time my Dad bought a Watermelon I paid attention to what he was doing with Thumping the melons and learned how to do it...I've tried to teach my wife and daughter how to do it, they say ALL Watermelons sound Hollow, not the case and they end up picking the ones that sound Solid...The Hollower they sound, the Sweeter they will be when you cut them open!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Look at the spot on the underside where it sits on the ground. If its still white its not ripe, when the ground spot gets a yellow color the watermelon is ripe.

·
20,123 Posts
Mine are almost there and I use the yellow patch as the first indicator and the thumping as a followup. As mentioned above though, they all sound hollow to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts