The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ground on my property is too porous to retain water and I don't have the cash to spend on a pond. There really isn't any water around for over a good mile or so.
However I do have a clean plastic 55 gallon drum. I was thinking of cutting it in half, stabilizing it so it wouldn't tip, and using the one half as a watering hole. Do you think they'll use it?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've noticed deer will prefer to drink from a mud puddle long before they drink from a creek or pond next to the puddle. I have scratched a shallow depression with a tractor loader or even a shovel 1-3 inches deep and then compact the heck out of it by driving on it or with a jumping jack compactor. It's cheap and easy and holds alot more than 1/2 a barrel. Even the crappiest soils will still ususally compact enough to hold water for a while.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
yes, from experience they will drink from it after awhile, but if you want them to drink sooner, dig a hole, bury the container all but a inch or two from the lip and then put dirt around the edges. be careful though, some small mammals may end up falling in and drowning if you don't put some type of "structure" in the middle

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
A pond is easy to make. Find an area where runoff occurs during a rainstorm - such as a road or normally dry ditch. Simply dig out a small depression and line it with a course black plastic.
Yo can divert the runoff or build your pond where it already runs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts