The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first duck hunt a few weeks ago and fell in love with it! Lots of fun with great people. I'm looking at getting a new gun for next seasons trip. I wanted to go with an over n under however I don't want to pay alot to have it rust from the salt water. I'm looking at the following and would like to have some sort of feedback. These are what I'm looking at
Remington versa max autoloader, Remington 10 gauge auto, Stoeger 3500 auto, Mossberg Autoloader, and a Benelli. I'm sort of leaning towards the Versa Max. People have told me that the Stoeger is a great amount of gun for its price. Any feedback or experience would be appreciated. I plan on going for divers and brant geese and maybe some sea ducks the following day.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I use a SP10, as far as I know, production was discontinued. You're all over the board with your prices and you can get a O/U for what you're considering. Get what fits, it seems you're open to just about anything. With all options open, I'd get a Citori and shop until I found a used 3.5 inch. But, they fit me well. Get what fits the best.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've had a Benelli SBE II for a few years now and love it. It takes a beating and keeps going. Lots of my friends have the Stoger and like them as well. None of them have had any issues with it. I was looking at getting a Browning Cynergy over/under in camo, but they stopped making them and are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
X2 on what Dtaylor said. Throw a few to your shoulder and swing them, whatever feels best and goes to your shoulder best is the one you will likely shoot best.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm a Browning man, I personally shoot a Browning Silver Stalker Autoloader.

I didn't know there was any other guns out there???
Browning is the gun to own.

On a more serious note, as mentioned above, your choices are all over the board in regards to prices.

So, with that in mind .....

If you want to keep costs down a bit you could go the Pump Action route. Good choices in that category, and ONLY in my oipinion:
- Remington 870
- Mossberg 500
- Mossberg 875
- Benelli Nova or Super Nova

Now, for Autoloaders ..... you need to decide if you want a "Gas Operated" or an "Interia Operated" gun. These are two totally different guns in regards to how they operate. Myself, I prefer the "Gas Operated" gun, but you'll find as many guys out there that like the "Inertia Operated" guns.

Gas Operated Shotguns:
- Browning (Gold, Silver, or Maxus)
- Winchester (Super X3)
- Beretta (A391 Xtrema)

Inertia Operated Shotguns:
- Benelli (SBE, M2, Vinci, Super Vinci)
- Franci (I12 is a very nice gun)
- Stoeger (Model 3500)

This list is by no means the end all, be all, list. You need to seriously research more, shop, and if possible shoot some of these different types of guns. Shoulder as many of these guns as possible BEFORE you buy. Fit & Feel is SUPER IMPORTANT.

Good luck, guy.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I've had my stoeger a few years now without issue and love the gun.
But if I had the money I would have got the xtrema.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Browning A-5. The origional waterfowl gun!

Maybe one of these days I'll own one?

Right now I shoot a Benelli Nova. They're cheap and they take a beating! If you're looking pump the Nova or the Rem 870 are tops in my book. Semi-auto? I feel the SBE is king of modern day shotguns.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
All good guns!

Pigger said:
Browning A-5. The origional waterfowl gun!

Maybe one of these days I'll own one?

Right now I shoot a Benelli Nova. They're cheap and they take a beating! If you're looking pump the Nova or the Rem 870 are tops in my book. Semi-auto? I feel the SBE is king of modern day shotguns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a400extreme. I have beatin the crap outta mine. Its mostly corosion resistant. A bit pricey, but worth every penny. Never jams, etc. Compared to an inertia driven system, gas has less recoil. Those are things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You could also look into the benelli M2. They are very similar to the sbeII. But a little cheaper. I used an 870 for years on everything. They are great guns. Nova pumps are really good. I have a franchi I-12 and really like it. It has fancy wood so I don't waterfowl with it much. I just picked up the new browning A5. Love it!!! As everyone else said. Get what fits!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I used a Mossberg on several snow goose hunts with no problems other than bruised shoulder and chin. Now also use an 870 which is super too. Use what fits you best and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Maxus
SX2
Xtrema.
I can't wait to get my hands on a new A5. a 870 is hard to beat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have a stoeger 3500 i dropped that gun walking to my spot in thick mud, wiped off the mudd on the outside and shot ducks all day. it worked flawlessly caked in mud and saltwater

1 - 20 of 29 Posts