The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PGC did a Waterfowl Survey in 2011 and question #17 had to do with Sunday hunting. The Feds only allow 60 shooting days for ducks, so if Sunday hunting were allowed the season dates would change.
I'm neutral on Sunday Waterfowl hunting but a 52% majority of hunters favor Sunday hunting, while only 39% favor the current season structure . Actually kinda surprised at the results below.
If you're a Waterfowl hunter, what's your thoughts on Sunday hunting?

17. If each of the options below provided equal conservation of duck populations, please select the one choice which you would prefer. (Please check only one).
1. 643 or 39% A 10-week season with Sundays closed to hunting (current season structure).
2. 852 or 52% An 8-9 week season with Sundays open to hunting.
3. 159 or 10% No preference

Waterfowl Survey Results

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm opposed to it personally.. I wouldnt dare step foot on any of my farms on a Sunday (all Amish and Mennonite for the most part).. I usually check in the day before I hunt, and they prefer I don't even stop by on a Sunday, let alone hunt. I've hear rumors that some farms will be shut down all together if it's legalized to avoid having to deal with people wanting to be there on Sunday.. In areas with a lot of Amish farms it would be very unpopular, considering they hold church on the farms themselves.... I know we can argue seperation of chuch and state all we want, but most waterfowling takes place on private land, and there needs to be respect for the landowners here IMO.. Enough farmers don't let hunters because of barns being shot, ruts in fields, etc, the last thing we need is to loose a batch of farms because of Sunday hunting..

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I support increased Sunday hunting. Those private landowners who don't want people hunting on Sundays can just say no. There is a lot of public land and open waters along with those landowners who don't care. It should be controlled by wildlife agencies not by a few landowners trying to extort and intimidate the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I support Sunday hunting. When I ask farmers for permission to hunt I always ask them if there are times when they would rather I not be there hunting. Landowners can always say no to Sunday hunting on there ground.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I'm opposed to it as well. Without a doubt it would shorten waterfowl seasons and stress some already tense hunter/landowner relationships, not to mention increasing conflicts between hunters and non-hunters on public ground. With the current regulations in place, even landowners who have other trespassing issues get a break from trespassing slob hunters on Sundays. Take that away, and they will have even more reasons to shut their properties down entirely. To those who will say they only have to post "no Sunday hunting"; you are wrong. It's NOWHERE near that simple or easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is that easy and it is that simple to just not allow hunting on sunday. Have you ever hunted new york? It is not like pa is the only state with amish families. Many spots in ny we hunt do not allow us to hunt sundays. Any other day of the week is fine.If you are worried about shortening the season. Here is your solution. Take one day of the week and make it closed to hunting. Pick one. Seems easy enough to me. How about tuesday no hunting. Many more people are able to hunt on a sunday then a tuesday. It is your choice to hunt on sunday if it is legal. That doesn't mean you have to go out and hunt. Just gives you the option.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
No thanks, I do all my mid season scouting on Sundays. An 8 week, 4 day season is too short and we already have a month long break.

If we had Sundays, large public hunting grounds would be barren on Monday. They hardly stand the pressure of a typical Saturday, not to mention the class of hunter you meet on Saturdays Vs. Midweek guys. Issues with crowding and skybusting always happen on Saturdays. No thanks to Sundays, I'd rather less guys have the chance and the quality of hunting stay up where it is.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If we had Sundays, large public hunting grounds would be barren on Monday. They hardly stand the pressure of a typical Saturday, not to mention the class of hunter you meet on Saturdays Vs. Midweek guys. Issues with crowding and skybusting always happen on Saturdays. No thanks to Sundays, I'd rather less guys have the chance and the quality of hunting stay up where it is.
That just doesn't add up.
42 other States have no problems like that with Sunday duck hunting.
I'm guessing that some hunters would still only hunt 1 day of the weekend, therefore spreading out the hunting pressure as opposed to everybody crowded into a Saturday hunt. The hunters would look at the weather or their schedule and pick 1 day of the weekend to hunt.

Think of the hunting pressure in a State like Louisiana where there are far more duck hunters. Their public lands are not barren of ducks on Monday morning.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Goosehunter said:
I'm guessing that some hunters would still only hunt 1 day of the weekend, therefore spreading out the hunting pressure as opposed to everybody crowded into a Saturday hunt. The hunters would look at the weather or their schedule and pick 1 day of the weekend to hunt.
Strictly in my opinion, that's not an accurate guess. Most guys I know, (including myself, time permitting) are going to hunt any day available.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might be right Quack.
Brings a question to mind.
To all duck hunters. If Sunday hunting were legal, at the end of the 60 shooting days would you have hunted more days, less days or about the same number of days?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The same.

We aren't in the Mississippi flyway, you can't compare the conditions between the two. They have millions of ducks arriving every season, we don't have anything even remotely like they do. Hunt Geneva or J area after 2 days of serious shooting, it is the duck desert or a place where the birds know the wire and won't leave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
less quaility hunting because of legal sunday hunting is the best reason i ever heard for not allowing sunday hunting. solution, close monday hunting, then you can scout monday and hunt tues.that will give you back your "quality" hunting then, at least in your own mind.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
team drama said:
less quaility hunting because of legal sunday hunting is the best reason i ever heard for not allowing sunday hunting. solution, close monday hunting, then you can scout monday and hunt tues.that will give you back your "quality" hunting then, at least in your own mind.
If Mondays were a high participation day like the weekends are, I'd agree with you in a heartbeat. But they aren't.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
well since you quackmaster oppose sunday hunting and then monday hunting being closed to keep season lengths as they are now just think of the oppurtunities tues hunting will offer you.that will give any and all of your spots a good resting period between hunting them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Team Drama, I'm not going to argue with you about my opinions. I've formulated them over almost 30 years. If you don't think allowing an extra day a week where everybody has a chance to pack the swamps will effect hunting quality negatively, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably not as experienced as I am. It will happen. That's n
ot a maybe kind of scenario, it will.

BTW, that's 30 seasons. I've been at this since 1984

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I won't go into the "normal" SH arguments that go on, but will simply state I like it the way it is. I have nothing morally against it, I hunt Sundays in NY, a few times every year.

No SH allows duck season to run a span of 8 weeks instead of 6 and a half. 90% of my farms are Amish owned, so no SH. IF SH for waterfowl would ever come about, I may hunt it once in a while, but would probably still take off Sundays, I like a day to just relax and enjoy life in other ways.

So to answer the questions, I feel I would lose hunting days, by my own choice of not hunting Sundays.

I think SH is a long way off in PA, and i'm good with that.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
team drama said:
well since you quackmaster oppose sunday hunting and then monday hunting being closed to keep season lengths as they are now just think of the oppurtunities tues hunting will offer you.that will give any and all of your spots a good resting period between hunting them.
I suppose to someone, somewhere, that make sense. You're obviously not able to grasp the fact that others have different concerns and/or opinions than you. We do agree on one thing; your screen name seems appropriate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not allowing an extra day a week. I am saying take a day out of the middle of the week. That means the exact same days you are allowed to hunt. I didn't add any days like you said. So you are trying to make me believe that in every other state that allows sunday hunting on monday the hunting is bad? I guess that means all the other states people give up that day and do not hunt. Conditions are to hard for them?? You have 30 years expierence great, but you don't have that hunting sundays in pa do you? If you don't go out and hunt on sundays because you oppose sunday hunting does that not in fact mean someone else may have a less pressured day of hunting? If all the other people that oppose hunting sunday don't hunt that day because they do not think it should be allowed doesn't that mean less pressure on the animals per days alloted during hunting season?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts