The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking a water well driller that serves southern Potter County (Wharton/Conrad area). Coudersport and Germania Well Drilling are both out of business. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,295 Posts
I don't have any experience with them and don't know if they serve they area you're in but Andrews Well Drilling is in Wellsboro, PA. 570.724.4107

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a point to ponder.
A person would think that water in Potter County would be good, just because of the remoteness of the location and the distance away from any large city, but in all actuality, the water in Potter County - drinking water, is some of the worst in the state.
One reason is because there is a pool of natural gas that is stored beneath the ground up in Potter County and it is pumped in the ground in the summer and removed from the ground in the winter.
All of the drinking water I have drank had a strange odor and or a high content of IRON.
I'm not sure if the OP knew about this when they bought their land or when they decided to move there.
I thought that the spring at the bottom of Niles Hill Road would have had good drinking water, but it didn't. In fact, one person commented that it was better before they put the new roof on the spring-house.
Now when I go there, I bring my own spring water from home - in Jefferson County!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cross Fork well drilling contact Danny Labonte in Cross Fork I don,t have phone number. Not all well water in potter county is bad but some areas do have a sulpher smell to it and can be treated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yea, both Coudersport and Germania went out. Had mine drilled by Coudersport and she was good to work with. I understand there was a problem within,something about the son. Anyway, I had Andrews do my septic and they were good. I probably would have gotten a good deal if I would have had them do both, well and septic. Now the guy that worked for Andrews, Todd, was a goldmine of information. Something that I still keep today. Check around and get prices from everyone.
As for the water, yes the water [censored] here in Tioga (Gaines twsp) and most other places in the area. Coal is another reason why the water [censored]. Now you need to look at a water filtration system. I understand there is a woman from Wellsboro that installs a filtration system to the tune of $1100. People have gone that route and are happy. I, being the tightwad of all tightwads, didn't. I choose a small single filter that I installed onto my water system. You get what you pay for and this is one of those learning curves. After changing the filter several times and having a large brown ring in the toilet and water turning plastic cups brown, I ventured back to the computer to search for other alternatives. I found the whole house, three filter system from Home Depot useful. I installed that for $600. and I had the clearest, cleanest, and best tasting water within 30 minutes. Money well spent. You want to see the difference, just take a glass of water from my spigot from the well head outside on top of the well and then come inside and taste the water from the sink spigot.

Big D

·
Registered
25,473 Posts
Depends on what's in the water table you've tapped into, as to whether or not is has sulphur, iron or calcium and other minerals.

When I built a house here at home in the mid 70s, we had three wells drilled on adjoining lots. First two had horrible water, so I had the guy keep going on my lot. Neighbors had iron/sulpher treatment systems in addition to a water softener. All I ever had was a water softener, different "vein" of water.

Our old place across the valley from camp was fed from a sulphur spring. Always enjoyed filling the water heater each year and turning it on.

Eventually everyone learned to clear out when I opened the kitchen faucets and fogged the place with that rotten egg smell, once the water was hot.

Current camp well is fed by a spring. No sulphur, but the water is very hard. With the current drought, not much water, either. Well is only about 120' deep. Next place up the road has a well several hundred feet deep and they have iron and other minerals in their water.

Some of the wells in the area are over 400 feet deep to get any water at all.

Ours was punched in 1980 by McLaughlin's in Westfield (Tioga Co.) and the son is still drilling wells. Just did one last deer season on the other side of the ridge from me. Heard that's another 400 footer?

Buddy that built a camp south of Galeton in the mid 80s, had Germania finish his well after Eichelberger's couldn't find water with their rotary rig back then. IIRC that well was over 400' deep when finished and was the third or fourth attempt at a well on his place.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Back in 1995 I had a well done in Clinton county by Renova and If i recall there were two types of drilling. I went for the cheaper way -(Rotary drilling)

I was at the top of the mountain & they had to go down 400 feet. I think I paid $3300 at that time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information guys. The wells at the camps around us are all between 25/30 feet deep. We just use the water for washing and flushing toilets. We've always used bottled water for drinking and cooking. We had a very shallow well along the creek that served us well for years and years. Suddenly was dry when we came up in December. Was still dry when we were up there this past week. It probably always pulled surface water from the creek level. Creek level has been way down, I think that is what is causing the problem. We just wanna get some estimates. My old camp didn't have water. It's tough to go backwards once you are used to it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
high country65 said:
Cross Fork well drilling contact Danny Labonte in Cross Fork I don,t have phone number. Not all well water in potter county is bad but some areas do have a sulpher smell to it and can be treated.
Kettle Creek well drilling is in Cross Fork. I didn't think Danny was involved in it but I may be wrong. However I'm sure Danny could hook you up.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The rule was never to depend and expect water is on a property. Pa always had a couple of places that wouldn't support a well.
Knew a young lawyer in PA who represented owners of property that wouldn't pass a percolation test.

Gettysburg, during the Civil War, had shallow wells and smaller number of residents, that the Confederates, with some 70,000 soldiers, ran out of water. Of course, it didn't make the news like Pickett's Charge.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've considered an electric water heater and maybe a 55 gallon drum or two, but that was just a twinkle of a thought right now as I haven't even pondered the logistics involved. They make the heaters with submersible pumps attached and they're supposed to give you a constant supply of 100 degree water. It really depends on what you're willing to put up with I guess. If I were to build a family camp where the women would regularly attend, I would make sure I had the well done. If I'm roughing it with a couple guys through the hunting seasons, I may consider the heater/pump although it's a lot of work. Plus side of an outhouse and a setup like that is that you really wouldn't need to worry about winterizing much.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Scott Labant - Danny's cousin - owns "Kettle Creek Well Drilling" (not Cross Fork Well Drilling). Scott is very experiences and does great work -- used to work for Germania Well Drilling. His phone number is (570) 923-0206... or cell - (570) 660-3435.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the recommendation Karl! Scott Labant of Kettle Creek Well Drilling was the perfect choice. It's always tough to get good help in Potter County. That's why I always turn to you guys on HPA for suggestions. The first (and only) Potter County well guy told me I'd have to replace the well because it was very shallow and dry. Wanted $8,000. I started considering some other options like pumping from the creek like many of the neighboring camps do around me. I called Scott a few weeks ago and he swung over and ran a few tests. Said there was plenty of water in my well and that my very old pump was just overheating and shutting down. He was back out yesterday to replace the pump and install a few other items to make winterization easier. All at a great price! He said that my well was 40 feet deep. Much further down than my neighbor's wells. He installed everything and tested it without me having to make a trip up to camp. Just told me to give him a call when I get up next month to let him know if I'm satisfied with the work. So after 3 years of no water in camp, we are done filling water jugs from the creek. Great guy. Very easy to deal with and highly recommended.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Ours was done years ago by Germanis well drilling.

We don't have much iron in the water but it does have an odor.
Someone told me it was becaue of the high sulphur content.
It's smells like Egg Salad.
If we fill up gallon jugs and let it sit overnight it taste fine and has no odor.
Either way the hot shower after a cold days hunt is worth it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Ours was done years ago by Germanis well drilling.

We don't have much iron in the water but it does have an odor.
Someone told me it was becaue of the high sulphur content.
It's smells like Egg Salad.
If we fill up gallon jugs and let it sit overnight it taste fine and has no odor.
Either way the hot shower after a cold days hunt is worth it.
If your cold water smells like sulphur, it's in your water. If it's just your hot water- take the anode out of your hot water heater and add 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide to your hot water tank each and again each year you start the system up. Worked with mine!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
If your cold water smells like sulphur, it's in your water. If it's just your hot water- take the anode out of your hot water heater and add 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide to your hot water tank each and again each year you start the system up. Worked with mine!
Yes it's the cold water that smells.
Thanks for the Tip though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts