The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend it was time to empty, clean, and refill my 3 waterholes. Took 3 trips and around an hour each ( including a few rest breaks to listen for any gobbling). These water hole get extensive use throughout the year even though at this time of the year there is water everywhere. During the summer and fall when it's been dry it's the only water on the property. Consistent water is a must for nesting hens and they do use mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one that gets the most use I usually top off once a week in the dry times, It doesn't take long, usually an hour to swing by all of them. The one that is the most shaded can go a few weeks without unless the bears decide to sit in it to take a drink( which they have a bad habit of doing). They also insist on pulling the stick out so I had to wire them fast

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Looks good. You're obviously doing something right. I set up a water hole 3 years ago. I've run a camera on it 24/7. I've never captured a buck using it. Not many doe either. It gets the most activity in the winter and that's only 2 or 3 doe a week : (

Mine's been a lot of work for no return. Then again apparently my property sucks because regardless of how much I try to make it better for the deer, I've yet to ever see a good buck on it.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The one that gets the most use I usually top off once a week in the dry times, It doesn't take long, usually an hour to swing by all of them. The one that is the most shaded can go a few weeks without unless the bears decide to sit in it to take a drink( which they have a bad habit of doing). They also insist on pulling the stick out so I had to wire them fast

If I remember correctly I think OAWC had rigged up some garage door panels to help collect rainwater into a tank.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep on trying different things to help all of the wildlife TBrom, I'm sure you're making some difference, some of my projects are busts, but I read about something else and figure lets give it a try. I'm a project guy and am happy to be working on something for the critters. I also struggle with trying to keep a few mature bucks using the property on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Looks good. You're obviously doing something right. I set up a water hole 3 years ago. I've run a camera on it 24/7. I've never captured a buck using it. Not many doe either. It gets the most activity in the winter and that's only 2 or 3 doe a week : (

Mine's been a lot of work for no return. Then again apparently my property sucks because regardless of how much I try to make it better for the deer, I've yet to ever see a good buck on it.

You need to build some beds. Ha-Ha. I couldn't resist.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Honestly some places are just like that. I have a plot up behind my house that is good for doe, but I seldom get buck pics in it. Only during the rut have I ever seen a decent buck in it. The kids have killed a couple of scrub buck in it, but that has been it.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If I remember correctly I think OAWC had rigged up some garage door panels to help collect rainwater into a tank.
Correct - we have two water holes that are fed by garage-door water catchers.

An inch of rain on a 10'x10' surface yields 62-63 gallons of water. So with an inch of rain falling on the roughly 7'x9' garage door, we are catching about 39 gallons of water for the water hole....plus we are catching rain in the hole itself and the tarp connecting the door to the hole.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I put a waterhole in about a month ago, didn't hit it for a while but checked it Friday and there quite a few tracks around it. need to get a cam on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are a great place for a camera LONZO, a lot of wildlife use mine, the does with fawns are regular customers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts