The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Here son you can have this old camo coat, my back-up knife, and this rifle your Grandpa gave me ...oh and here we can’t head out to the woods without all these opinions of mine”

Opinions, us adults sure do like to hold on to them. From National Politics and religion, down to the brand pick-up truck we will ONLY ever drive in our lifetime. Get a group of 50 adults together and bring up a topic and you get 50 varying answers, all spoken with the authority that their way is truly the one written in stone.

Hunting is one of those things you can’t wait to teach your kid or any willing youth really. It is something you think about from the minute you hold your child in the hospital for the first time. Showing them how to read deer sign, or be able to tell when a lab is getting birdy and it is time to find a shooting lane, or how to wait for that perfect shot eventhough this one might be good enough. So many important things that create memories just during their teaching, let alone all the memories a successful lesson leads too. We live to do this, it is our passion, but yet that passion also can play a sinister rule.

It is extremely hard to teach without opinion. If you feel very strongly about something it leaks into your lessons, your objective muddies a bit like a little brown tributary running into a clean river. Sure a lot of it dilutes once past the mouth of the tributary, but the water in the main channel is a bit murky just the same.

There is a saying that “history is doomed to repeat itself”, well my take on that is that it is only true because of the teaching of opinions from generation to generation. No matter if it be our opinion on people in foreign lands, or our opinions on how great things were back in the good ole days. It repeats, because we lead it to repeat.

Again , I think of hunting and some of the current issues facing it and all the opinions that have risen up to face these issues. I wonder how many believe in what they say purely based off the opinion , unable to consider any information that could lead against it. I wonder how often I am guilty. We have gained more knowledge about so many things that deal with hunting in recent years, yet when push comes to shove we will turn to our opinion, the ones we were taught. You know history repeating itself.

So now when I go to teach my kids something , I ‘ll pause first and ask for their thoughts on it. drink from the clean river if you will, before telling them anything that may taint it (or try my best too). And I have to tell you 9 times out of 10 I hear their response and smile and think, I remember that kid, that kid was me, back before I got opinions.

Learn from your kids, don't taint their Outdoor experiences too much with your disdain for certain things in our Sport. It is all good in the eyes of a kid, keep that river clean and the tributaries may one day follow.

Be Well and Get Outdoors,
RB

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
RB

I very much agree! Love the anaology!

·
Super Moderator
28,088 Posts
Well said RB!!

I've been around many kids when they just started hunting. I've yet to hear one want to talk about anything except what happened and what they saw in the woods that day. We could all learn a lot from them.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Great Post! Something we could use in a lot of aspects in life. So much does get tainted when we refuse to think and see outside the box.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Learn from your kids, don't taint their Outdoor experiences too much with your disdain for certain things in our Sport. It is all good in the eyes of a kid, keep that river clean and the tributaries may one day follow.

That says it all!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Great post! I can relate to it.

I remember my dad introducing me to hunting. He had always been a hard core pheasant hunter before I became of hunting age. He also was a very, very successful rifle hunter for buck, shooting one every year since he got out of college.

However, when I became old enough to hunt, I didn't follow in his footsteps for various reasons. The pheasant population began to decline. I went with him a few times, but came back empty handed. I went rifle hunting with him, and we both shot deer. But then the year after we hunted archery. I fell in love with it. He never was a serious archery hunter. He had a recurve and went out a few times during his hunting career up until I turned 12.

Basically we got serious into archery hunting together. But, if it wasn't for my interest in archery hunting, I doubt he would be hunting with a bow right now. If he didn't give us the opportunity to explore archery hunting together, he'd probably stil be out chasing pheasants, and I'd probably be at home doing another activity instead of hunting.

I am very fortunate to have the opportunity my father granted!

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DL 20,

Similar story but with fishing. My father would take us boys to our camp in Potter about every other weekend throughout the year. In summer we fished for trout...we were bait fisherman, I don't even think we used spinners of any kind. Just sunk the worm and waited.

We were driving back to camp from a fishing outing and my brother (who passed in 2004) said i want to start flyfsihing, Dad near slammed on his brakes and went off the road, but next trip my brother was a fly fisherman..and we continued to "pork chop" but my eyes would watch my brother cast and it looked more fun for sure , eventhough he was less successful. The next year I wanted in, the year after that Dad started.

Funny thing is Jim quit fishing and hunting when he went to college and got a career, never to do either again before he apssed on, but Dad and I continue to fly fish today.

My brother taught me alot about things when his life was coming to close...but I am guessing he taught me alot of other things while he was alive, perhaps just buried back there, til a post like this brings it back.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother.

My dad used to fish for trout a lot. I think I stopped trout fishing with I was in junior high. It just wasn't my thing. He also likes smallmouth fishing. I never really liked smallmouth fishing when he'd take us on the boat when I was in elementary school or junior high. I much rather wanted to catch largemouth. Funny thing is I only enjoyed catching largemouth for a few years. He would've told you my favorite fish to catch was largemouth until I hooked myself, no pun intended, into smallmouth fishing. It remains my favorite freshwater fish to catch. But I think it's because I re-discovered it for myself when I got older, not because my dad loves smallies.

Looking back, it is amazing to see what my dad did for me. Although we both love hunting and fishing, he just had a different style until I was of age to hunt and fish seriously. He basically stopped his old style and did what I wanted to do. I can't show enough appreciation for what he did for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts