The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 wasp developed the moderen broadhead ! many copies out there but nothing even close to wasp.flight,strenght.penatration, thickness of blades, i hunted with them for 32 years... never a problem!!!

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
secret said:
1971 wasp developed the moderen broadhead ! many copies out there but nothing even close to wasp.flight,strenght.penatration, thickness of blades, i hunted with them for 32 years... never a problem!!!
+1 man!! I have used many and I just love the WASP Boss heads man
They fly like a dart, very strong and sharp as all get out.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
It seams there aren`t alot of WASP users. Probably because they don`t beat the advertisement pages like others do.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Shot my first crossbow buck with a Wasp. They are great heads and don't get the press as do others with higher advertising budgets.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I used wasp heads for 6 years, hammer sst's. I always had pass throughs and killed my game but i found that the tip of the heads would chip and sometimes come off after shooting game with them. I also always had to sight my broad heads in different than my field tips. After 20 yards they just didnt come close to where my field tips were shooting. They are definately nice sharp heads though. Im gonna try slick tricks next year. Who knows, i may end up going back if they dont work.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I have used the Wasp Jackhammers for several years now. Killed two deer with them.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Wasp Jackhammer is the only mechanical we keep in stock at all times. If I were going to use a mechanical, it would be the Jackhammers.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Wasp broadheads were the part of the next generation of hunting tips that appeared after famed Bear four blade design and others such as the "Super Hilbre"......Back then , Wasps were THE tip to use, and if you didn't have them in your quiver, you were behind the times.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I remember the "super hilbre" head, Ken. I never shot them, but some years ago while chainsawing a log, sparks flew. I ended up replacing the chain and cutting farther down the log. When I split the log, there was a super hilbre embeded in the log.

The theory was that with that long and slender head you would get more penetration. I used bear razorheads on those cedar telephone poles back in the 1960s, and took several deer with them; even had a couple of pass throughs. They were a big improvement over the old three blade heads I used before then. Easier to sharpen too.

These new broadheads are so advanced over the primitive tackle I used back then it is like night and day.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Used the Hil for a couple of seasons in the early '60, then went back to the Bear Razorhead. Still use the Razorhead in my long bow and recurve.

Killed a deer last night usinga mechanical, Rocket 100 grain. I like them when I use mechanicals. 15 whitetails, 1 mulie, and two antelope perfect blade performance.
But I think Rocket was sold, but I still find them and the rebuild kits. Trophyridge.com

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
arrowhead said:
Anybody remember the Savora? I remember reading about the Super Hilbre, but they weren't available around here.
I used Savora three-bladed tips for years..Shot three bucks with them and they sliced right through...I still have some!

When I had my first recurve, I bought a dozen wooden arrows with the "Super Hilbre" points...The very first deer I ever shot at with archery equiptment was with these..I missed the deer and hit an oak tree. I pulled the arrow out and the end of the broadhead was rolled back like the end on a elf's shoe...Things were duller than crap..

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I'm a Wasp user and love them.... Fly great,penetrate great and a very strong solid head.... Savora???? Yup... Used them for year's... How about Anderson's???? Killed a ton of deer with them.... Like throwing an axe at the deer.... Some had problem's getting them to fly but they flew great for me... Think I've got 4 pack's somewhere....

Ken I had the same thing happen to a Hilbre only on a buck's shoulder.... Head looked like a sardine can when you open it with the key... Rolled neatly back....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts