The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in a gunshop today a T/C Hawken flintlock for $200. It had a brass ramrod. The bore looked like it was in OK condition. The stock was not in the greatest shape--it had a few scratches on one side. The big problem with it though I found was the lock when pull back to full cock did not always catch on the tumbler. So my question is if I were to buy this gun would T/C's lifetime warranty cover the lock even though I am not the first owner? If so what do you guys think of its price?

I also saw another CVA Hawken for $150 that had a pewter ramrod entry cap and used German silver for the patchbox and buttplate. The stock seemed to be in good condition as was the bore. The barrel was not marked as to where it was made. I have heard that CVA used to make their rifles in the US and that they were very good and were even used for competition shooting. Do you guys think this is one of those made in the US rifles?

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
TC has a lifetime war. no matter who ownes it.It could be as a simple adj of the screw between the triggers.
Look closely at the end of the barrel.Make sure there is no slight nicks on any of the rifling.This will pull the ball to that side when it leaves the barrel.
If you have a drop in bore light look for a shadow ring.This is from a short started ball or a maxi that slid partway down the barrel whan it was fired.
If you don't have a bore light you sometimes can run you fingers over each flat of the barrel,top to bottom,feeling for any slight bump in the steel.
Bores can be scrubbed,frizzens replaced,and locks tuned but those 2 things take the most work to fix.
I would stick with TC or a Lyman.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
you should have picked it up! I had a 54 mountain rifle flinter and like a fool, i sold it. The mtn rifle in the last pic was one that i put togther with a one year only made curly maple stock. I had a .58cal barrel on that one. The other above it was a 54.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
The CVA Mountain Rifles are excellent guns. The original round ball barrels had deep rifling and were much better round ball shooters than any TC gun. They were made in the USa for about half the production life of the Moutnain rifle. They also for a year or two made a big bore in 58 cal. You ever find one of the CVA big bore mountain rifle guns grab it.

CVA Mountain rifles had excellent accuracy and won many matches against custom guns.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
TC Hawken made my rifle some 35 years ago and I've had it ever since. The only thing I replaced was the ramrod(wood to fiberglas, I think), and still have the old one for looks.

On a used one, I'd give the barrel a good bath with some warm water, liquid dish soap, in a bucket, and then some homemade "moose milk" as a finish. Then I'd spray lightly the frizzen and spring with some WD 40. Used that for over thirty years on the same frizzen. That procedure has been done on my one frizzen since the 70's. (I've sprayed the same archery release for fifteen years and still works good. WD 40 is worth the time and money.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts