The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Woulda had my limit but safety wouldn't come off on the 6th one! Had a blast relaxing and enjoying the day, u know, how it's suppose to be!!! I see squirrel potpie in the very near future!

·
Super Moderator
24,065 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went squirrel hunting today and saw one tiny red that disappeared rather quickly......what kind of forest should I be looking for for optimum squirrel hunting? I don't want to ask for specific places, cause I know people are touchy about giving out good locations. What should I look for and tips for finding them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Find the food. In my area, hickories are having a good year, so that's where I'm headed on Saturday. If you can find an area with some oaks, maybe bordered by a cornfield, you should find squirrels. Look for signs; nests in trees, cuttings on top of logs or stumps, den trees, stuff like that. I like a thicker area with some grapevines too.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those were shot in hickories and oaks, mainly hickories! My uncle wanted em shot and I wanted some potpie!! Lol. I didn't even put a dent in em!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well done! I like them in pot pie also. Never had any luck frying them like rabbits. Always turned out bad altho some say it can be done. Also, dont rule out squirrel gravy over toast for breakfast with a cup of black coffee.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They are great fried. My wife browns them then simmers them in the pan with some water on low heat- I think. You could also try boiling them a little then flouring them and frying them. Good fried squirrel can't be beat. It is better than wings.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clinton County said:
They are great fried. My wife browns them then simmers them in the pan with some water on low heat- I think. You could also try boiling them a little then flouring them and frying them. Good fried squirrel can't be beat. It is better than wings.
Get me her recipe and I'll try it! I like squirrel pretty much anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts