The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weeds have hit the neighborhood. Weeds hit but they sure strike in warm weather.

If you try to grow grass, using weed killer is a necessary evil. Weeds will grow twice as fast as grass.
With the first cold, the weeds turned brown. Even the local landscaper has a yard of brown weeds. Found out years ago, if you cut another lawn, the mower can spread weeds to your yard. It's a pain to clean the mower after every use. Poor professional landscaper probably got weeds to most of his customers this year.
Be warned. Use the mower on your yard. Spread the weed killer as needed.
Slow growing grass needed fewer cuttings. Grow weeds and your mower will be a lot more active next year. In summer it does look green. But that's a poor excuse. And I hate using a lawn mower often; especially when I want a grass lawn. The slower growth of grass appeals to me, greatly. I'm an amateur landscaper, you see. I don't get paid for cutting and cutting more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Proper turf management will MINIMIZE the use of herbicides (and fertilizers. BIG IDEA: weeds and grass thrive in different pH ranges. Proper and consistent application of lime will keep your pH in the sweet spot for turf and away from the acid most beneficial to weeds. NOT IMHO - from PSU Turf management manual.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
paraguy said:
Proper turf management will MINIMIZE the use of herbicides (and fertilizers. BIG IDEA: weeds and grass thrive in different pH ranges. Proper and consistent application of lime will keep your pH in the sweet spot for turf and away from the acid most beneficial to weeds. NOT IMHO - from PSU Turf management manual.
What he said!

Plus Aeration, dethatching, and overseeding along with fertilization will thicken your lawn and help choke out problem weeds.

No amateur here, been doing it for 35 years for a living.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Bushmaster lets not forget correct mowing practice.
How long the grass is cut, keeping the blade sharp on the mower and length of time between mowing. Nothing worse for a lawn is when a homeowner lets the lawn get 6" tall and cuts down to 2". Talk about stressing your turf. Been in the LCO game for 20+ years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts