The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my wife and I are going up to Presque Isle state park this weekend with her parents and I am looking for some advice for fly fishing for warmwater species in the area. Looking for advice on maybe what areas to check out, what kind of lures to take (poppers, woolly buggers, etc.) and what species I can expect to find in the area. I'm from SW PA and have never really been that far north, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I only fly fish for trout so can't help with the lure selection. I would think poppers and buggers would work. There is a lot of good fishing opportunity on the bay side and 2 ponds on the peninsula. The ponds are stocked with trout but not sure how that would be this time of year. Lots of bass, crappie, bluegill and perch in the bay. I have also caught crappie in the ponds. You could rent a cayak and explore the lagoons. The fisherie website has good info and maps. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Try the bay side. It can drop off pretty quick but try some clousers. Can't go wrong with chartreuse/white. Some poppers around dark may produce some strikes.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
You'll want to check out the head of the bay (right where you first come on to it, from the first parking lot to the west / right), Misery Lake, Marina Bay, maybe the lagoons if they aren't too weeded up, and Horseshoe pond. Those are going to be your Largemouth, panfish, pike spots; shallow, warm and weedy.

If you're so inclined, you can try for smallmouth on the sand flats near the Perry Monument. Work the area between the mouth of Misery Bay and the mouth of Marina Lake (the East pier). It's pretty shallow (3'-ish) for quite a ways off shore in most of that. The smallies spawn there and you'll see the bass boats working that area.

Here's a map of the area so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.mobilemaplets.com/showplace/1953

I can't offer any help on flies to use though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I appreciate it guys, that certainly gives me something to go on! I'm breaking down and taking the spinning gear too, so we shall see what happens. Are there any lure shops around that might carry flies?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the bait shop at the entrance to Presque Isle has a huge assortment of tying gear, thread, and flies. I was quite surprised when I went in there. I stopped for minnows though. We didn't do much fly fishing; we went to the north pier and used crappie rigs out on the bottom. We caught six sheepsheads that were very big!! The first one my wife caught we couldn't get up over the wall so we went and purchased a landing net. We caught a TON of round gobies too. I caught two perch, one pretty nice the other small. We had a good trip up there. Beautiful country and so much to do! We needed more time there to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.