The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cold? I am looking at the Parkas made by a company named Northern Outfitters. Their gear isn't cheap but they make coats rated to way below zero. https://www.northernoutfitters.com/s-2-parkas-liners.aspx

This stuff may be overkill but I also icefish.

What do you guys think is best for stand hunting in cold weather? Anyone have any experience with Norther Outfitters? Thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Re: Warmest coat for late-season hunting and extre

I used Natural gear winterceptor fleece this year. Great stuff. I hunted one day when it was 8 degrees in the morning and was very comfortable. Layering is the key. Block the wind and layer correctly, then you can laugh at the cold

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

I had the same problem. I was always getting cold. I did research and asked as many guys as I could about what they use and if it works. I had several people tell me about the Cabelas Super Slam suit.

I decided to get the Cabelas Super Slam jacket and bibs. I have only ever had to use the jacket. I get too warm in just the jacket, it is usually unzipped in the arm pits and down the front. During this past snow storm, I was sitting in an open field with wind whipping past me and I was sweating.

The jacket was $225 but it is well worth the money, trust me.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts

I like the Berber Fleece from Cabelas for hunting the late season coldness. It does really well at keeping me warm and breaths well to keep me dry. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

spur said:
I had the same problem. I was always getting cold. I did research and asked as many guys as I could about what they use and if it works. I had several people tell me about the Cabelas Super Slam suit.

I decided to get the Cabelas Super Slam jacket and bibs. I have only ever had to use the jacket. I get too warm in just the jacket, it is usually unzipped in the arm pits and down the front. During this past snow storm, I was sitting in an open field with wind whipping past me and I was sweating.

Very similar situation with me. Did the research, lots of research, including hands-on comparisons in the stores.

Finally choose Cabela's Silent Suede Parka and pants .

Then all I had to do was wait for it to go on sale, which I did and saved a bunch of money. I've worn the parka three seasons and love it. It is totally waterproof. I've worn it at least 4-5 days where it poured almost all day and stayed dry and toasty warm.

My only complaint is that it is almost too warm. I actually keep a rope in my day pack to roll the parka up and carry it in if I have more than a little walking to do.

The insulated pants are so warm I rarely wear them unless it's extremely cold out. I see Cabela's has the stuff on sale again (for even less than I paid). I think I'm going to have to buy a pair of the uninsulated pants!

You won't go wrong with this stuff and it won't break the bank either!

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
I normally wear a Pendleton Outfitter wool parka. Hard to beat good ole wool!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a Cabelas wool parka plus pants,shirt,bibs. The parka works great but it is heavy, usually I carry it in to my spot to try to avoid getting to warm. I think it cost 179.00

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
my entire family(that hunts) uses the Browning system. those things are nearly indestructible and are outstandingly warm. we have been using the same ones for over 10 years, hunted various terrain and not a single rip or tear in them. they are rather expensive but they are woth every scent. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Lugnut said:
spur said:

Very similar situation with me. Did the research, lots of research, including hands-on comparisons in the stores.

Finally choose Cabela's Silent Suede Parka and pants .

Then all I had to do was wait for it to go on sale, which I did and saved a bunch of money. I've worn the parka three seasons and love it. It is totally waterproof. I've worn it at least 4-5 days where it poured almost all day and stayed dry and toasty warm.

My only complaint is that it is almost too warm. I actually keep a rope in my day pack to roll the parka up and carry it in if I have more than a little walking to do.

The insulated pants are so warm I rarely wear them unless it's extremely cold out. I see Cabela's has the stuff on sale again (for even less than I paid). I think I'm going to have to buy a pair of the uninsulated pants!

You won't go wrong with this stuff and it won't break the bank either!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the Cabelas Silent Suede and I like it but in really cold weather I feel the cold after sitting a few hours. It is good stuff though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Comment from an old guy who gets cold easy and has owned many coats.

Whatever you decide on, if funds allow:
Consider getting a Patagonia Retro ($200 till annual winter sale)and wearing it as an underlayer. Lightweight, windproof, virtually indestructible and unbelievably warm.

I have hunted in Canada in winter with only this coat over down vest, wool shirt and underwear.

It is in no way good in rain, but would make one heck of an underlayer in stand or such.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Only problem with wool if caught in a long term drenching rain...better have a drag strap along to drag coat out...it gets pretty heavy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts