The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you drive and its hot,do you drive with the AC on or drive with the windows down?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
It depends on your make of vehicle and how old it is..Alot of older vehicles put the airconditioner radiator in fron of the engine radiator and if you drive with the AC on it would run the engine alot hotter.If you running flat interstate it is not bad but hilly roads and it heats the engine up alot. Now some of the newer cars you have the engine fan running all the time the AC is on so it is good.I had a ford taurus that warped the heads because I was driving in the summer with the AC off and the sensor that kicks the fan on had broken.You should talk to the dealer or mechanic about your particular model.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
burk313 said:
It depends on your make of vehicle and how old it is..Alot of older vehicles put the airconditioner radiator in fron of the engine radiator and if you drive with the AC on it would run the engine alot hotter.If you running flat interstate it is not bad but hilly roads and it heats the engine up alot. Now some of the newer cars you have the engine fan running all the time the AC is on so it is good.I had a ford taurus that warped the heads because I was driving in the summer with the AC off and the sensor that kicks the fan on had broken.You should talk to the dealer or mechanic about your particular model.
I think somebody missed something here......lol

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK try again.Do you......

A)Like to drive around with the windows up and the AC on?

B)Like to drive around with the windows down and enjoy the breeze?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
The only time I use the AC in the car is when I am going to work or to a meeting where I need to be fresh when I get there. On the way home from work I don't care if it's 110 degrees, that AC stays off and the windows come down.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
flocknoker if you are somewhere in PA and you do not know where then I think you are missing something here.Good Luck finding out where you are...

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Window down unless stuck in traffic then AC. Been told gas mileage is better with the ac on and windows up but I like the fresh air and the wind in face!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
General running around, I like the windows down. If I've been cutting firewood, or other work, AC all the way.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The only times I ever used the A/C was when the kids or wife was in the truck or it had been sitting in a parking lot for awhile in 90+ degree heat. Other than that the windows were always down. I never even had A/C in any of my vehicles until 2 cars ago.

Now the windows are down no matter what because the A/C broke. It doesn't mean that much to me to get it fixed. I wouldn't even have it if it didn't come as standard.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a/c, I use it. I have not to fond memories if sweating my butt off when a/c was a luxury I couldn't afford.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Windows are down if by myself. A/C is on and windows ups if with the old lady and kid.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
If I am doing short hops I will use the windows on nice days but on longer runs I use the AC.
It’s not the heat that I hate, it’s the humidity. There are times I leave home at 04:00 and its beautiful but by the time I get down off the mountain and below Allentown the temp is usually 8 degrees warmer and the humidity higher, if I am down in the Philly area its worse.
There is no reason in modern vehicles not to run the AC since the computer adjusts timing and there is no longer a drastic difference in the MPG. I think on my work truck its maybe 2 MPG difference and on my car there is no visible change.

If I wanted to sit around being hot and sweaty all day I’ll go camping.
Driving a 2 ½ hr commute and feeling sweat zig zagging down my chest and back is not how I want to spend my time.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, on a recent trip to GA I got 1 mph difference without a/c driving down and with it comming back. On a vehicle as big as an Avalanche that is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
John S said:
Yep, on a recent trip to GA I got 1 mph difference without a/c driving down and with it comming back. On a vehicle as big as an Avalanche that is pretty darn good.
MPH or MPG
Tailwind??

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Driving around town in my truck with the A/C on would result in about 12 mpg. I get around 15 with it off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No AC so it's windows down and floor vents on, on really hot days I'll throw in an air freshener to withdraw some BO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts