The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen any mention of either of these on here, admittedly I just pass thru so to speak so I may have missed the discussion. I am building a frankenbow recurve and looking hard at a WARF set up for ILF limbs, has anyone else done similar? My frankenbow will have an old set of cobra pin sights on it to start, basically it will be a riser from a Bear Hunter circa 1983, my first bow, with 50lb Samick limbs on it. I am not sure of the string length yet but I ordered a 60" string to start playing with it based on what another guy I talked to said he used on the exact build he did. I'm hoping to have a shootable first run by christmas but strictly on targets until I get a handle on it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The General rule of thumb with recurves in regard to string length is 4 inches shorter than bow length. I’m not sure what the riser length is of your bear hunter, but a 60” string will probably be close.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I understand Johnnyb, I figure this will take a little messing round but everything I have read says these bows are very nice shooting rigs once dialed in because the riser is metal and dampens the shot very quickly, it's a way for me to set something up to shoot fairly cheap, my old compound was just collecting dust.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Let me know how it works out regular joe, I have an old Hoyt raider ive considered converting as a gift to my brother. He never got into archery hunting but has expressed interest the last couple years, he was considering a Used Hoyt satori, no interest in Xbow or compound. I have no experience with ilf limbs but it would probably make a great starter bow for him for a lot cheaper than a Hoyt.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Johnnyb I have an old Hoyt Raider here that I think I will do next for one of my sons. I may build another wild rig out an old whitetail hunter for them too, not sure yet.

I got my limbs on and mounted up today, I have 62" from limb tip to limb tip, about 61 1/2 I guess I'd say in the grooves, maybe 61 even, I can't quite hold both ends and read tape that well. I was thinking a 58" string to start out, does that sound right??

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update: I have piddled around with this over Christmas, the limbs were not a plug and play so I have some tinkering to keep them true, they can pivot int he pockets as they are now, which I am shimming with some temporary shims I want to glue in place. I may go full ILF WARF pockets and just hand this to my son with some low poundage limbs for now. Not sure. The 60 inch string seems long, a couple twists may help, haven't tried yet just fitting stuff up. I will do some more once school starts and kids go back on the bus, been interesting.

Does no one on here own a WARFed bow? Seems odd to me that no one responded about that is all. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had all my compound risers converted to ILF by a guy out in California. Some were with plates installed but most were machined right into the limb pad itself. Martin Lynx, Bear Blackbear, Bear Kodiak Special, etc.

In order for a riser to be used for ILF limbs you want the limb pads to be a certain angle.

I have no experience with the Frakenbows.

Good luck with your modifications, a lot of guys use popsicle sticks along the sides to keep them true on the Frakenbows.

Good Shooting->->->->Craig

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig I am using popsicle sticks too, almost perfect width for what I need.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Popsicle sticks are glued in place I set the tiller dead even, squared up a nock point and the first shots have been fired. I think it is pretty smooth and easy to shoot, got some silencers coming so I will add those and see, it does have some string noise without them. I still have the old rest on the riser, not a bear weather rest as was original but I think it is an old Hoyt rest very similar to the bear. The shelf is not flat on this, and I don't know if that is possible to set up to shoot off of or not, likely not.

I only missed the block completely at 20 yards once, it seems like some better arrows and some tuning would help, lots of practice too I am sure. I have to figure out how to check the draw weight and see where it comes out, do some research on the correct arrows for this. I plan to shoot a heavy arrow and limit my shooting to 20 yards so I want to set up like that for practice too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts