The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of people with under 16 ft boats at keystroke lake in New Alexandria pa got tickets for not wearing life jackets. I was happy to see this...adults and kids. Shame on all of them esp the ones with kids. What is the fine? I tried the book and could not find.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Last year they gave everyone warnings and clearly stated that this year it would be fines without question. At least the ones around here said that. Last year they stood right at the launches at the stocked lakes and told everyone as they put boats in. Where I found it hard is floating the river trapping and having to wear one.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I believe for adults it is October thru April they must be.worn, not during the summer months. I believe the change was to address the additional risks of cold water.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just something to think about, it is possible to be wearing the inflatable kind that go around your waste like a fanny pack. I know many people dont use these, but i do and people (wardens) have assumed i was illegal even though i wasnt...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm I'm not sure the waist one would be ok...it states life jacket not waist inflatable... Who did you seek out to give you a ruling? I'm not saying it isn't legal but why fight that battle? I saw a boat that was asked to come in off the water to get fined.....why fight that and have to come in off the water etc..the inflatable ones are really nice

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do think it makes no sense to make it ok for 16ft and above to not wear...you can just as easily fall out of a boat that size and drown

·
Registered
289 Posts
I fish out of a 14 foot Alumcraft that is hard to tell from a 16. Laid out just like the 16and Just as safe as a 16. Yet if I don't wear one Im subject to a fine. If we are going to have a law like this everyone should have to wear one. Water isn't any warmer falling out of a 16 foot.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
One thing to check if you go with the inflatable style is that not all of them work in cold weather, so check the label to make sure it's rated for cold weather

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I don't understand why an inflatable has to be worn at all times to be considered a life jacket? Does another life jacket stored on board work better if it isn't worn? doesn't make sense to me.

To be honest life jackets are like the helmet and seatbelt law for me. if you don't choose to wear one you take your life in your own hands. I do wear mine most of the time if I am in rough water or by myself even though I am in a 16ft+ boat. I have seen people in 10 foot jons already though with only a few inchs out of the water without em and thought to myself they must be stupid.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Because if you aren't wearing it and you go out of the boat you have no life jacket. Many times people are injured when tey fall or fly out of a boat, a life jacket in a storage box or in the bottom of the boat isn't going to help you.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thats what im sayin john. They dont count an inflatable as a life jacket for someone in the boat unless they are wearing. So basically if i am in my boat with my father. Both of us have inflatables that are on the deck within arms reach we need to have two more pfds in the boat as well as a throwable. Doesnt make much sense

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Honestly, I think the throwables are a joke. It happens all the time that everyone gets tossed out of the boat and then, who will toss you a throwable PFD? I helped a friend sail his 42 foot sailboat from Bermuda to MD several years ago. We wore inflatable pfds connected to a lifeline each and every time we were on deck. Wearing them did not bother me one bit. the beauty of the inflatable suspender style is that you don't even know you are wearing them. People who resist PFDs are selfish in my opinion. They may not care if they die, but their loved ones do and if nothing else a PFD makes sure there is a body to bury.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone remember swim class? They had us jump in with jeans on and a shirt....tough gig trying to stAy afloat with clothes on esp jeans...the chances of a pdf falling by you when you fall out is low..trying to put one on with wet clothes and shock of falling in...lower....drowning... high chance

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think some of our PFD laws are dumb. I do believe kids should have to wear them at all times, no exceptions, but adults should not be regulated in my opinion. I get that it could save your life in cold months, but so could wearing a helmet on a motor cycle. Truth is they know people hate wearing them so its just another way they can fine you to make money. Makes no sense at all to me that boats under 16' should have to wear them but boats that size and bigger does not, and before anyone accuses me of being biased, i have a 12' and a 16.5' boat. I get the fact there should be one on board for every passenger in the boat, but i dont agree with them having to be out in the open and unbuckled the way they want you to have them. Theyre more of a nuisance when theyre out in the open, stepping and tripping all over them. They want them laying around the deck of the boat. I have a nice case to keep mine in my boat and the warden said they cant be in there when people are on board. They have to be laying out in the open. All you'd have to do is lift the lid and theyre there? As long as theyre in the boat and in good condition that should be enough in my opinion. I dont want to wear one and i dont think i should be regulated to do so. I have never felt unsafe in any of my boats.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts