The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WANTED - 4 bore & 8 bore shotguns

i am wanting to purchase 4 & 8 bore shotguns any condition, if you have anything to offer please send details and pictures.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Re: WANTED - 4 bore & 8 bore shotguns

I don’t know if this will help you much, But A few years back I lived in Delaware. If you do some checking in Easter shore Maryland and Delaware. You may find something. Down around the Bay. They used those guns a lot years ago Most were Oar lock guns. And I saw some nice ones when I lived in that Area..

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

I think you will be better able to find those gauges in the British Isles and Europe than in the US. They have been unlawful to use for hunting here for a long while and there are few around and the ones that are around are family heirlooms.

·
Registered
210 Posts

John S said:
I think you will be better able to find those gauges in the British Isles and Europe than in the US. They have been unlawful to use for hunting here for a long while and there are few around and the ones that are around are family heirlooms.
Unlawful for federal migratory birds, but still legal for PA state regulated small game and birds, and for larger game if loaded properly for your area of the state(IE: slugs, buckshot).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

THESE SIZE GUNS ARE BOTH LEGAL AS I AM IN THE UNITED KINGDOM,AS PEOPLE ARE UNABLE TO USE THEM IN THE STATES I THOUGH IT WOULD GIVE THEM AN OUTLET TO SELL THESE TYPE OF GUNS,PLUS THE GUNS WOULD BE USED NOT SHOW PIECES, AT THE MOMENT I AM SHOOTING -2-4-8 & 10 BORE GUNS,I ALSO HAVE A FRIEND THAT SHOOTS A DOUBLE PUNT GUN,IF MORE INTEREST IS SHOWN I WILL POST PICTURES OF BOTH GUNS & SHELLS

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

jack46 said:
THESE SIZE GUNS ARE BOTH LEGAL AS I AM IN THE UNITED KINGDOM,AS PEOPLE ARE UNABLE TO USE THEM IN THE STATES I THOUGH IT WOULD GIVE THEM AN OUTLET TO SELL THESE TYPE OF GUNS,PLUS THE GUNS WOULD BE USED NOT SHOW PIECES, AT THE MOMENT I AM SHOOTING -2-4-8 & 10 BORE GUNS,I ALSO HAVE A FRIEND THAT SHOOTS A DOUBLE PUNT GUN,IF MORE INTEREST IS SHOWN I WILL POST PICTURES OF BOTH GUNS & SHELLS
Yes, please show some pics! It would be really interesting to see some of these different pieces of which I have never laid eyes on.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts

4 and 8 bore, my goodness, but I have not heard of these guns in many years. Just out of curiosity, what would you plan to do with these guns? Parhaps put wheels on them and tote them arround like limbered up artillery
. Just kidding with you. And, yes, if you can provide and pics of these it would be cool. When I was a kid growing up in the Pisstburgh area they had a "Punt Gun" on display at the Carnegie Museum. Now, THAT'S a gun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ok will post pictures of guns and shells in the next few days,by the way these have all all fired from the shoulder

·
Registered
805 Posts

The 4 & 8 Gauge guns I saw in MD. DE. Were all wall hangers. they had 5 to 6 foot barrels. With the oarlock fastened to the Gun. They were very interesting. But I don’t think I would want to shoot one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

if you go on you tube and put in 2 bore it shows a 2 bore rifle being fired plus a shotgun being fired

·
Registered
25,511 Posts

This should be on the Wanted To Buy forum, but it turned out to be an interesting thread and generated some info on something many here are not familiar with, so for now I'll let it stand here.

If you'd like, I can move it over to the other forum sooner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

PLEASE MOVE IT TO THE WANTED TO BUY FORUM WITH A MESSAGE WHERE IT HAS GONE SO INTERESTED PARTIES CAN CONTIUE TO FOLLOW PLUS I CAN SART A NEW TOPIC WITH THE PICTURES

·
Registered
25,511 Posts

In the interest of continuity, I'll let it here until you start the new thread w/pics. There will be a direct link to the WTB forum, once it's moved.

·
Registered
653 Posts

I can't immagine shooting a 4 gauge.. those shells are bigger then a 700 nitro!! length and width!! Here is what i'm talking about

·
Banned
13,401 Posts

The 4 bore was a legendary Elephant gun in the blackpowder era.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The 4 bore rifle was for elephants,the 4 bore shotgun is still used for wildfowling in the UK still using blackpowder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts