The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all........I have been an archery hunter for about 35 years and like everyone else, started with a recurve, eventually following the trend to compound bows and having success in Pa through the years. I have made the decision to go back to the simple days of traditional archery.
I would like to hear some advice on equipment as well as where (if) there is a good traditional archery shop in the area. I live in NE Pa but would be willing to drive a few hours to look at and eventually buy my bow/arrows,etc. I was looking at Martin bows because they are supposed to be good and the price is not too bad.
There is SOOO much info online about equipment that I need to talk with someone who knows.......hopefully a good shop. I am excited and look forward to getting back on the ground, without the gadgets and hunting the way our native american brothers did it........ Bear

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The last time I went to the Hburg show there was only 1 trad guy there. Denton Hill is the place to go if you want to wait until next July.

Just keep comin in here and visiting and you'll find plenty of help. Dont br afraid to ask, there are prolly a bunch of trad guys near you ready to help.

BTW Martin makes fine bows

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so far fellas. Yes, could use all the help I can get. Stikbow......Ill be calling. Where/What is "Denton Hill"??

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Denton Hill is the biggest trad shoot on the east coast. It's located on Rt 6 in Coudersport, about 40 miles past Wellsboro. It's a great time for sure. It usually takes place the last weekend in July. You can find anything and everything you would want or need for trad shooting. Most if not all bowmakers will let you shoot there bows. I shot a Bruin takedown recurve, along with many others there back in '95 or so, I ordered one and I still have that bow.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know.thats too late...........Id never be ready for Oct. It would only give me two months.
WHAT is a good LENGHTH bow to look for. There is a beautiful Rivers Edge for sale but its short.... 54"

·
Registered
952 Posts
The longer the bow the easier they are to shoot, the shorter bows stack weight a lot more do to the short length, I prefer bows around the 62" length but I wouldn't go shorter than 58" myself.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So around a 60" would be good to start with? I would need someone knowledgable to choose the arrows..spine, weight,etc. I want to buy a nice, balanced package and learn to shoot........If I get the bow, is it hard to match up arrows?

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's really a personal preference the longer the more forgiving but the shorter bows are easier to maneuver in blinds and stands so it's whatever is comfortable of you really, arrows are easy, you can just use a chart like Eastons arrow chart if you choose to shoot aluminum or carbon and wooden arrows come in five pound increments.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
bob hilderbran helped me out allot i have not seen him on here in awhile but he is a good guy .

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to find a shop that actually has some in stock to feel........or just wait for denton hill? I think i asked already but are there any shops in ne or even central pa?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Give Dunkelbergers a call. They are in Stroudsburg and have a nice indoor archery range. The entire second floor is dedcated to archery, and it seems the guys working there know are knoweledgable (spellin??? lol)

I don't archery hunt, but have shopped there for years, they have a nice set up. Not sure if its okay to do this but here is a link to there web site.

http://www.dunkelbergers.com/

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone have a recurve they are looking to sell? No more than 50#....i want a lower weight to start with. I like nice looking wood, 60" or shorter. I have been on trad gang a lot as well as ebay. Honestly, there are some beautiful bows but without looking at them? Its hard. Bob Hildenbrant?? Can you offer me some advice? I like one piece but will buy a TD......Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Spirit..a few things come into play. What is your compound draw length? How much would you like to invest? I would recommend starting out at no more than 45#. I have several bows you might be interested in. And it is pretty important that you hook up with some trad. guys if you can. They will go a long way toward getting you up and going.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr Hildenbrand.............Sorry for the very late response! I was away for work then getting ready for camp tomorrow! I am so very excited to get started but need to find the right bow. WHAT bows do you have? What/ if any....are you considering selling? I realize I do not want anything more than 50# and will take a 45# to start. I like beautiful wood, other than that.Im open for suggestions. My compound draw length is 27 or 28".....Id have to check. I draw 62 to 65# with it. Thank you...........joe

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want a recurve only.....take down ok......nice wood......will shoot wooden (cedar) arrows only.......anyone have a nice bow for sale?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would advise you looking at a Bear Kodiak...you can get this in a 60"/45 lb draw model. The longer bow is quieter and much less effect from finger pinch. E-bay is full of them, or if you want new, they're in the $350 range. I'd look real hard at carbon arrows - you can get the woodgrain look with ten times the durability. They certainly cost more but if you shoot a lot, they will pay for themselves many times over. Go to "Traditional Bowhunter Magazine" website and get a subscription (my Gander Mountain gets it every month but it's the only place in town). This is an incredible magazine with usable info every issue, and the classifieds are full of excellent catalogs for your accessories & supplies. Google Three Rivers Archery and Kustom King Archery to see what's out there now. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts