The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering where to start with this gun. This is year 3 with this gun and I had 'ok' groups to 25 yards...after that is all over the map. It is SO bad that ... I went to the range in wexford and could not tell where or IF I hit the large 3-ft by 4 ft target. Granted, that thing had a lot of holes in it but there were not ANY around a typical target sheet. Where do i go from here? I am using Goex powder and 90 grains with a .50 CALIBER / 245 GRAIN / HOLLOW POINT COPPER Powerbelt.
I just dont know what to move or start working with first to make things better? Should I keep tinkering with the sights? Should I adjust the load grains? Should I go for a heavier or lighter powerbelt? a different type etc? I would really like to stick with the powerbelts for their ease of use and loading. What have other Traditions Deerstalker users had success with? Please dont say buy another gun..I know this is a basic gun but I think it can do way better than this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My brother tried power belts in my 54 cal hawken and it shot like you describe. He tried patched round balls and the gun shot like its supposed to. Does it shoot any better on a dirty barrel?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
i shoot mine with 75gr and a round ball and it shoots great.
never cared to try those powerbelt thingys, their for the in-liners.

·
6,450 Posts
i know you dont want to hear it but the trigger pull stinks on that gun i had one and then bought a traditions hawken with a set trigger and my groups improved greatly. i shoot the same bullet and load as you in both guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried the powerbelts in my 1/48 twist for the same reason you stated, finally went with the Hornady FPB 350 grain bullet and backed my 2F down to 85 grains. Really pulled my grouping togetherand still not alot of clean up with these. Then again, I am still researching this board for feedback on the Hornady bullet also. JMO

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Traditions flinter Pa Pellet model so I called traditions they told me that the ramp for the rear sight was to high and sent me a replacement. I installed it and it did help. Since then I have replaced the factory sights with RMC V Peeps and what a difference they make

·
Registered
9 Posts
I shoot a Traditions Deerhunter, probably the most entry level flinter you can shoot. I have had no accuracy problems out to 60 yards with a roundball and patch. 85gr of 2f goex and a .490 roundball. No problems at all. Makes me think it could be the powerbelts. Just my two cents.

Good Luck trying to figure it out, keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you have to use Powerbelts,try the 295grs.Most 50's like them with shallow groove rifling.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Treestand91, I know the trigger stinks...I wanted to get into a single trigger to get started and didnt want the double trigger..also the budget at the time was poor...I can live with it..mine has a little creep then I know right after that it will fire. lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what would you attempt to fix first? the projectile? I have heard of people changing up their loads and getting better groups...I just dont want to try moving a thousand things all at once..what would be the first to focus on?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
an adjustable tumbler is very cheap to fix a heavy trigger pull.

Is your rifle a percussion or flintlock?

What powder charge/what brand of powder, are you currently using with the powerbelts?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
pt1e said:
Hi all, just wondering where to start with this gun. This is year 3 with this gun and I had 'ok' groups to 25 yards...after that is all over the map. It is SO bad that ... I went to the range in wexford and could not tell where or IF I hit the large 3-ft by 4 ft target. Granted, that thing had a lot of holes in it but there were not ANY around a typical target sheet. Where do i go from here? I am using Goex powder and 90 grains with a .50 CALIBER / 245 GRAIN / HOLLOW POINT COPPER Powerbelt.
I just dont know what to move or start working with first to make things better? Should I keep tinkering with the sights? Should I adjust the load grains? Should I go for a heavier or lighter powerbelt? a different type etc? I would really like to stick with the powerbelts for their ease of use and loading. What have other Traditions Deerstalker users had success with? Please dont say buy another gun..I know this is a basic gun but I think it can do way better than this.
If your Traditions is the Deerhunter, Back Off to 70 grains of 3F....

It should shoot good groups with the 70 grains...Seems the less powder you use, the better they shoot!

As for your other post about the Creep in the trigger pull..
Go to traditions website, here...
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/products/TRADITIONS%20SIDELOCK%20BOOK1.pdf

Go to the lock adjustment...

Take your lock off and do some adjusting to it.. it is NOT a Hard thing to do!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
90gr goex could be a little to hot for the 245s. my cva mountain stalker wont shoot the 245s good at all but with the 295's and 80-100gr pyrodex rs, it will shoot like a son of a gun. First 2 shots @ 100 normally touch.

Bullet change. Try the 295's

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hey pt1e your not far from me if you nedd any help iam glad to help iam only 20 from wexford and alway looking for some reson just to go shooting

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
mountainman09 said:
hey pt1e your not far from me if you nedd any help iam glad to help iam only 20 from wexford and alway looking for some reson just to go shooting
Same here... I live 15min from the range.
And for starters Take your own large cardboard so you can tell what hole is yours, before I'd be adjusting things... I also have a vise for sighting in

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great idea-----I went to Best Buy and got a refrigerator box and used it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I just got my PA Pellet Deerhunter and its 1/48 twist for Christmas and shot it New Year's Eve for the first time. It is my first flintlock and I jump and pull like crazy. At 50 yds its dead on up and down but I am pulling to the left almost a foot and it is definitely me. My boss and another gent shot the gun and its nearly perfect at 50 yds with them pulling the trigger.

I am shooting 295 grain PowerBelts with a sprinkler of 4F in the barrel and (2) 50 grain Hodgdon Pellets for a magnum load which is the same as I use in my CVA inline.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts