The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black Walnut tree on my property that I want to get rid of.
My question, is there any value in the wood for use in custom wood stocks?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Depends on the tree. Is it truncate?

BTW be careful there is a firewood ban right now in SE PA. Walnut is on the listing. We have a new Asian invasive species.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
the quarantine is for Thousand Canker Disease.
Don't know why truncate would matter.
Diameter is more important.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Base of tree is about 24" then splits into 2 main trunks about 12" tree is about 35/40 feet tall. . Tree appears to never have been cut back or trimmed. It's a never ending task to pickup walnuts and droppings from this tree so I want it gone.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Mike Barcaskey said:
the quarantine is for Thousand Canker Disease.
Don't know why truncate would matter.
Diameter is more important.
Truncate-1. To shorten by or as if by cutting off

This wouldn't matter???

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/di...1a4bcf6878.html
Yes, and now their is a ban. Considering the Fines and possible 90 day imprisonment don't ya think the OP deserves to know that.

Large dbh, and if the trunk grows straight. you wound't get much for limb wood.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Here's the problems you have.
24" base, old tree, located in someones yard. How long has this been a yard or part of a homestead. If you created the yard you might be OK, if this yard has been there for a long time, you'll have a hard time selling it, possible hardware problems,(nails, fence, etc hidden in side tree).
You might find someone who will take partial payment for the butt log, you didn't say how tall it was before the double branches, when they cut it. The two 12" branches are minimal diameter for gun stocks, by the time you square them your down to 7 or 8 inches or less.
Good Luck but it's going to cost you to have it taken down.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Low(er) BTU's, but splits super easy. I almost shed a tear as some beautiful grain walnut I load up into the wood burner lol. I think to myself, would of made a beautiful stock, but the house needs to stay warm lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts