The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started fishing an area that holds a fair amount of walleye where I'm fishing for smallmouth. I have never targeted walleye and just caught a nice one on my last outing on a tube that got off right at the boat. My dad had caught a keeper last year and I kept it and it was quite tasty. I would like to target them occasionally when I'm smallmouth fishing and was just curious what lures to use. Any help is appreciated.

I'm fishing a fairly shallow river that is probably no deeper then 6 ft where I will be targeting them.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Look for suspending lures...
Smithwick Rattling Rogue
Rapala X-rap
Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow
Bass Pro XTS Suspending Minnow
Bomber Long A
Even sinking lures,
Rapala Countdown
Yo-zuri crystal minnow.....

Catch walleye all the time with said lures in the Susquehanna fishing similar depths.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the info, WADMAN where on the Susky do you fish for them no exact spots but general area? Use to fish from Duncannon up to Liverpool a lot and never caught any. My dad caught one under the Clarks ferry bridge last year on a yum crawbug.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Half way between that area has one of my favorite holes! People in western PA called in the Susquehanna Salmon hole long before I was fishing it. Always get some walleye up there. Largest 26" Few limits taken out. Even in dead of hot summer at high noon I got them. All wet wading along the rock ledges. Even a few on Chug-bugs at dusk. Worth a try if you still fish the area. If so, I could better guide ya to some fish.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I still fish the area just not as much as I use to unfortunately. My dad use to have a camper at ferryboat campground for 12 years so use to get out there often. I never targeted walleyes out there but after eating my first one last year I wouldn't mind catching one to eat every once in a while a sim bass fishing. Believe I'm heading out there in a few weeks for a weekend. Hoping we get some rain from the usgs gauges it's starting to get low.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
stickbaits - a.k.a various rapalas,,

Bucktail Jig - with minnow or nightwalker attached ,,

work in slowly in eddy edges as river rises

·
Registered
261 Posts
Learn how to use jigs, and learn when you've been hit while
using them, and there would be no need for any other lures
while fishing for smallmouths and walleyes. Trolling with a
lure for locating them is fine, but once located a jig fisherman will cash in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts