The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything wrong with walking the dog (who will point) in an area where birds were stocked pre-season ?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I do it a few days before the season opener. The only thing I know you can't do is train a dog before the youth pheasant hunt. I plan on taking the dogs out for a walk tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
leagle & ethical sometimes are not the same You saying you want to train { walk your pointing dog } on the preseason stocked birds without any consideration to those folks who are hoping to find a bird saturday ??????

·
Registered
599 Posts
Come on grouse without breaking the birds up the goofs that hunt the first hour w/o dogs are limited out because they jump out of the truck and shoot their two. Why is that not considerate of other hunters? If my dogs can find them Saturday their dogs should be able to as well........

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have been out the first day and found people who don't have dogs and haven't seen a bird. I was hunting by myself and found two fathers and their sons hunting after the dogs had many points and flushes. I invited them to walk along with me and my dogs. They each killed at least 1 bird. This was after I took my dogs for a walk before the first day.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grouse & britt said:
leagle & ethical sometimes are not the same You saying you want to train { walk your pointing dog } on the preseason stocked birds without any consideration to those folks who are hoping to find a bird saturday ??????
I guess I am one of those guys that has worked every Saturday for the last several decades and since we can't hunt sundays ... I promise that Stella the Wonder Dog will eat ZERO birds and Shoot even less. I highly doubt that she would ruin any "hunters " future hunt.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree mgp! You can though take your dog for a walk on Sunday!
I guess I'm not ethical either nor are the other 5 guys and their dogs that are doing the same thing!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember I was ASKING if there was anything wrong with that nothing more. I will put you down on the YES side OK ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess anybody that is out looking for birds when your not supposed to could say they were just walking their dog. Is he on a short leash? I dont think the PGC will go for that loop-hole. Guess you could always fight it at the hearing. LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
mgp629 said:
Is there anything wrong with walking the dog (who will point) in an area where birds were stocked pre-season ?
Do you mean you don't have anywhere else to "walk" your dog?

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
sdwlucas said:
Come on grouse without breaking the birds up the goofs that hunt the first hour w/o dogs are limited out because they jump out of the truck and shoot their two. Why is that not considerate of other hunters? If my dogs can find them Saturday their dogs should be able to as well........
So if I hunt birds without a dog I am a goof.You have apparently a highly trained dog and a goof can shoot the birds so your dog can't find any?Trust me the goofs won't get all of your birds.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you get carried away keep in mind that MY dog of choice is a Newfoundland and they are not hunting dogs PERIOD ! Due to a very nasty strain of bone cancer I now have a rescue Mutt that happens to point. All you out there keep in mind I have nothing to do with her pointing. she started it at about 14 weeks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ank said:
I guess anybody that is out looking for birds when your not supposed to could say they were just walking their dog. Is he on a short leash? I dont think the PGC will go for that loop-hole. Guess you could always fight it at the hearing. LOL
I guess you can go on the " jump to the wrong conclusion without many facts"side .

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
sdwlucas said:
I don't go pheasant hunting often but I can assure you that when I DO make it out (without my SQUIRREL dog) I am a goof walking around in the field playing "dog" myself... If you want to show me how a hunting dog works you can come down anytime. I'd like for him to be the goof and not me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts