The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the breathable cabels waders? on sale for $150. I walk alot and sometimes end up in briars, I'm thinkin' they will hold up better than neo's. Do you think they will be warm enuff in the late season?

Thanks,
N8

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Not sure exactly what they are but I've worn them fishing and there's no way I'd wear them in late season (breathables).. I would think you'd need some serious clothes under them to keep you warm which would be counter productive...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I just saw them on the website.. Probably wouldnt be bad if you're not standing in the water... The boots don't have a ton of insulation either.. They'd be a nice early season wader but I don't know how warm they actually would be

·
Registered
342 Posts
What's nice about cabelas waders is you can return them for a refund or replacement very easily. I fish a lot, and tried almost everything out there. Got sick of returning multiple pairs a year for leaks to Cabelas. Finally splurged and bought a pair of Simms, and never looked back. 3 years and 0 leaks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
lwrsusq said:
I just saw them on the website.. Probably wouldnt be bad if you're not standing in the water... The boots don't have a ton of insulation either.. They'd be a nice early season wader but I don't know how warm they actually would be
That's my understanding as well ...... Early Season waders.

I wear a pair of 5 mm Neoprene, 1,000 gram insulated waders coupled with Under Armour long johns/6 pocket bdu camo's/merino wool socks ......... and on a really COLD DAY (25-degrees with 20 mph wind) on the Chesapeake Bay my feet will get cold, not freezing cold, but cold.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have had a pair for the last 6 years and just got a 2nd set a few week ago due to bumping into a steel pipe. The best thing about these are how light the are and you don't get that dampness like neos. With UA as a base and fleese wader pants I am good down to the 20s. They have held up very well for me but I don't treat them like brush pants either. JMHO

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My buddy has them, he sat down on a log and had a hole in his backside on day one.

Don't go the other route, buying brush busters, unless you are overweight. They're cut for fat guys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Guess I'll end up getting 5mm neo's from cabelas. I have a weird foot so I will be trying on like 10 pairs until I find one that fits.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wear my breathables until water starts freezing or I have to break ice. Buy some good wading pants or layering cloths and socks and you will be fine. I have the Lacrosse alpha swampfox's with 600 gram in the boot, wear them all day in the cold water if I need to, so much more comfortable than neos. Cabelas makes great products, there dry plus hunting wader is solid, be the next one I buy. Lacrosse seams are starting to seep.

I wish Simms made a hunting wader, my g3's for fishing are bullet proof.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Cabelas breathables going on 6 years and really love them. The have become more pricey over the years. I found these Hodgman's with an uninsulated boot in MO Duckblind on ebay and ordered a pair for my wife to try. When I recieved them, they are the exact same material as the Cabelas version and at $79.00 they cannot be beat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hodgman-Guidelit...W-/380536947488

I ordered an extra set for myself and a friend also ordered a pair. They also sell another version that has a rubber boot with 400 gr insulation for $89. The quality is the same or better than the Cabela's at half the price. If the link doesn't work just type in camo wader in ebay search and the the name of the place is called mardens surplus. They also have the Hodgman Duramag 1200's for $119 and shipping was like $12. I am not affiliated with them I just thought I would pass along a good deal. So ,if you like MO duck blind you can't go wrong. Happy holidays!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have the cabelas dry plus breathables and the Super Mags. I like the breathables better because they are light and warm with the set up pappy mentioned.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you have the money....SIMS are the best....Made in Bozeman, MT....Have a pair for over 5 yrs...zero leaks... boot foot waders are a lot warmer then stocking foot.... But you can drop some of those feet bak warmers inside you waders to keep your feet warm... In the cold months it's hard to beat 5mm waders with 1200 grams.... Plus SIMS will stand behind their product 100%... If your waders are starting to leak...Turn them inside out if possible...Fill with water from a hose or shower....get some aqua seal...mark the spots with a marker.... then spread aqua seal or other product over the leak... Good luck....just had to replace my neo waders this year since it would cost me more in aqua seal to fix them, then to buy a pair of ebay...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update I went to Cabelas and got a good deal on the supermag 1600's.. Maybe next fall I'll pick up a pair of the breathables. I'm just glad this sat. I'll have dry feet, yea!
for the first time in 2 yrs.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You won't be disappointed with those Supermags. My feet have never been cold in them.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have had my Cabelas armoredn5mm neoprene for over ten years.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have to admit that once I went breathable I never looked back.

I wear mine all season long early and late. For late season it is simply a matter of layering. I go with a base layer and then fleece.

My big hang up with Neo's is the clammy moist feeling from the retention of sweat. With the breathables I've found that no matter how much you sweat hauling in the dekes you are bone dry once its time to sit. As for the boots, I prefer to have lighter weight boots and sock up as needed for the temp.

To me, the comfort of breathables cant be beat. Fleece insulating layers are lightweight, wick moisture and far more comfortable (IMHO) than a thick 5mm layer of neoprene.

I'm on season 7 of Lacrosse Alpha swamp fox. Although they are not brush busters they do have an outer protective layer on the front of the legs.

If you have neo's and want some breathable go for it. You may be shocked to find out how versatile and comfortable they really are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts