The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need a new pair of waders come fall. Mine are leaking badly in the bootie and can't be repaired. Just wondered what everyone's experience is with different brands and models and maybe some failures and recommendations. I would want a breathable stocking foot style, price maybe up to $300.00, if they would last a few years.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Wore 5 Mil Neoprene's up until last year. Bought a pair of Cabela's Breathable's last year, and wondered why I didn't do it decades ago. Wayyyyy less than $300. Maybe $120 range ?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I haven't used neoprenes for years. Way too hot! I use breathable waders even in the winter.

I wear Simms waders currently. I've bought several pairs of Cabela's waders in the past. The ones that I've had the least luck with are the Dry Plus brand. The problem I've had with them on two different occasions is that they leak along the seams in the legs. That is a flaw in the waders and from what I've read in customer comments, a frequent one.

Hope you have good luck with your waders.

·
Registered
134 Posts
bought a pair of these click here. Redhead brand neoprene at bass pro before trout season this year. Highly recommend. Warm, comfortable, don't leak, at least until I sliced them on a piece of barbed wire fence walking back to the truck one day. I bought some stuff to fix them, now they are like new again.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I should add, my Trout fishing starts in March, and stops at the end of May, seemingly just when many of you spinner fisherman actually start, so Neoprene's weren't all that uncomfortable heat-wise.

Beauty of Cabela's waders leaking... you only have to endure 1 day of wet legs/feet. They get returned before the next outing, and I have found NOBODY in the retail business better than Cabela's on items that need to be returned. I've returned 5 year old waders that developed a hole. I don't fool around with trying to patch.

·
20,128 Posts
I used to just wear the rubber waders you can buy for $39 at Dicks. In fact I still do when I've fishing a really small stream. But I switched to wading pants after several seasons of fishing with TroutSpinner and I'll never go back. Wading pants allow you to traverse so much water that you can't with hip waders or even wet wading unless you really dont mind getting VERY wet. They've opened up a lot of new doors for me and save a lot of time. I defintiely catch more fish in wading pants then I do wet wading or in hip waders.

I bought the Frogg Togg pair with the water proof zipper pockets so that ever if.....I mean when I go it the water, my phone will stay high and dry. I dont like the way I look in them lol but they serve their purpose. So far through half the season they seem durable enough. for $100 I can beat it.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a couple of hours away from the nearest Cabela's so I don't want to have to return something that far away.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm 45 minutes from Wheeling Cabela's, so yes, that is a factor in my decisions to go with Cabela's for many things.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Some people like <span style="text-decoration: underline">neoprenes</span> because they're warm, but I think they're uncomfortable.
You can wear long johns under breathable waders (though I almost never do, I wear fleece wading pants) and be plenty warm.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Probably have the same ones Trout2003 has...from the same place...

Had breathable cheaper waders....i much prefer the wading pants...very comfortable...

Find the size chart... somehow I needed a medium....they fit very well..i can move as needed and I climb like a monkey at times..I've walked numerous miles in them...

More expensive than the cheaper pairs...but worth it if you fish a bit... quality is noticeably better than cheaper pairs...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Trout Traveler said:
Some people like neoprenes because they're warm, but I think they're uncomfortable.
You can wear long johns under breathable waders (though I almost never do, I wear fleece wading pants) and be plenty warm.
Neoprenes - besides being bulky and uncomfortable - they make you sweat - which will make you cold.... I tossed them to the junkpile many moons ago..

Breathables - Cabela - LL Bean (better return policy than Cabelas), or even Hodgeman (I have had good luck with all three brands) - never spent more than $130 for a pair...

Simms Zippered Waders -- some guys need them - others don't..

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Breathables - Cabela - LL Bean (better return policy than Cabelas)
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out how a return can be any better than, "It's broke ? Ok go get another like it off the shelf".

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I love them. Lol in all seriousness I work at a trout farm and i fish in some thick brushy country that usually consists of miles of hiking. I've been through a ton of waders. Most brands I get a year or less out of. My Redington's lasted 5.5 years. They finally just started leaking in the crotch. They are very comfortable and the seems are in all the right places. I just ordered my new pair from avidmax.com they had the best price plus you can sign up for E-mail and get 10% off and they currently have a $50 mail in rebate. I ended up paying $130 after everything which is a smoking deal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Fleroo said:
Breathables - Cabela - LL Bean (better return policy than Cabelas)
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out how a return can be any better than, "It's broke ? Ok go get another like it off the shelf".
Cabelas tightened down on their 100% replacement for any reason policy - due to certain "types" that took advantage of the policy...

L.L. Bean has not yet had to pull back on their reins...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have to return my Korkers wading shoes. I've had them less than a year and the right shoe came apart. I forget if I got them at Cabela's or direct order from Korkers.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was tempted to purchase the Korkers with the interchangable soles, but changed my mind - because I'm not sure if they would stay together - will the bottomo sole stay in place.??.

I still use the old school Korker sandals when conditions require spikes- they are heavy to wear, but are easy on/off - and those big spikes dig in and give great traction... I not only stay glued to stream bottom, but I can traverse up & down steep banks like an overweight Mountain Goat !!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts