The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a set of chest waders for hunting. I will be using them for duck and goose hunting. they will mostly be used any time from sept to feb so the temp may vary. I was just wondering what you guys suggest since i have never had a set. also i most likely be walking thru briars at times so i don t want something that could get damaged easily

thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
While I am not a big waterfowl guy, I use my waders quite a bit for fishing. I would not get a really heavy insulated pair of waders. Get something light or low in insulation and then layer clothing under it in the colder weather. Just check different sites like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander, and even Ebay.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i would get heavy duty material on the outside - most likely look at waders made for hunters - not fishermen.

Try to avoid neoprene - it is hot, heavy, and will make you sweat alot.

The lightweight breathable waders for fishing will NOT hold up to brair patches and other scraping things that you will be busting through.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Lots of briar patches where I hunted I used these - Cabela's Men's Ultimate Hunting Chest Waders with Thinsulate™ and Armor-Flex™ - problem the Velcro straps filled up with leaf litter every time nature called LOL to the point they would not stay closed. Gave them to my nephew to grow into (Sis put some big buttons on the straps for him). My next 2 pair I lightened up a little - Cabela's Men's 3mm Neostretch™ Neoprene Chest Waders with Lug Soles and Thinsulate™ still have my second set. Yes they are warm, we got around some of that by walking to the water before we put the waders on. We also had heavier dry clothes to change into once we got set up.(also helped that we had heaters stashed out at the blinds to dry out the waders)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had a pair of Orvis 5mm neos years ago.
I felt like the Michelin Man or the Stay Puff Marshmellow - take your pic.

Once I made the switch to breathables, I never wore them again.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ha, fishing in 50 degree water, I went with uninsulated fishing waders, or wore insulated underwear or warm running pants.
Oh, and I'd wear wool hunting socks.

And made sure I could swim in cold water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts