The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
shuey 270 said:
I'm want to know what size and style hook is everyone using with the o-ring.
Dunno what yer talking about....never heard of oring .

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
#1 - circle or 1/0 circle
I use rubber bands for braces.
Don't care for Senkos, they are way to soft and expensive. less expensive ones are just as effective and don't tear up or off after every fish.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i don't use the o rings or senkos. I use Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap Hooks in 1/0. Also i can get 50 hand poured ones off ebay for a lot less.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
limbhnger10 said:
#1 - circle or 1/0 circle
I use rubber bands for braces.
Don't care for Senkos, they are way to soft and expensive. less expensive ones are just as effective and don't tear up or off after every fish.
If your senkos are getting soft they have been exposed to heat. I keep the ones I am not using in the fridge. Sun tears them up quick so when I fish with them I keep them out of direct sunlight. Also, I think that other brands certainly catch fish, but its hard to get another worm with the rate of fall a senko has.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't use a o ring, but use a 1/0 eagle claw hook with the wire weed guard. With the weed guard you can throw them in almost any cover.

·
Registered
959 Posts
never tried the ones with weed guards, The Gamakatsu have them too but neve bougth them.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
quakbak said:
never tried the ones with weed guards, The Gamakatsu have them too but neve bougth them.
I have the owner Wack hooks w/ weed guard and I also use Gamy circle hooks both in size 1 the work well w/ the o rings. I'e pulled up a 6# LMB w/ the circle hook and a 5# SMB [who didn't want to be netted!] on the weedless, all hooked in the corner of the mouth. I rarely see swallowed hooks w/ these two types.

When one is almost swallowed reach up thru the gill w hemostat or needenose on the side the hook eye points toward and pull the hook back down toards the gill and the hook will come out. I did this and recovered senko, oring and hook when all I could see was about 1/8th "below the eye.

·
Registered
353 Posts
quakbak said:
I've used every brand of those type hooks in florida bass fishing with shinners, and the eagle claw, surprisingly, worked better, really just more durable i should say.
I also use the smaller profile hooks I think wiz bang is talking about, mine have a plastic type weed guard for when the water is super clear, along with flourcarbon line. Honestly I don't think the size of the hooks makes any difference in the action of the bait, or amount of hook-up"s. Unless you go too small in hook size of course.

·
Registered
456 Posts
WE use the YUM Dinger worm, and a #2 bait hook or circle hook. The O-ring will save you worms. If you jjust hook through the worm they will tear after 1 or 2 fish. I have caught as many as 6-8 fish on a single worm with the o-ring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts