The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I know, the law is from the law makers and the law "enforcers" must do their job. If they do not, there is an unemployment line, and other waiting for that vacant slot that need a job. They do have a tuff job. This is not a kiss up or down, I don't know any of the Wardens, even in my own area. Let's work on the lawmakers and change things.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
What do you want to change?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I think it may stem from a lot of posts on here regarding some of their actions. Many times I see posts condoning WCO's actions when they are in fact just doing their job.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finding sheds, finding skulls, road kill laws, to start. Laws that do no make any sense to us sportman and sportwomen. Look what I went through to find out about road kill. That is all I saying.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Ahhh...Got ya, you mean laws like, I take somebody fox hunting with me to show them what it's all about, they don't have a furtakers, so no weapons and only observe. Now, if that said person whispers to me which way the wind is blowing, we broke the law, because they participated. Or they can't run the ecaller, because that would be participation. Or I can't shoot a bobcat while predator hunting with a partner when I have a tag, because they don't have a tag, and they would be participating, now if we only shoot yotes, we're good. Got ya!

There's a ton of stupid laws in the comic book...

Let me know how we work on the lawmakers and I'll jump on board.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I have yet to meet my local WCO.
I see them cruising by looking for road-hunters - and for that I salute them.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I had a good idea that the said issues were some of the cause for this. I agree lots of stupid laws in the books, both outdoor and regular. You cant blame the people for doing their job, ya gotta go to the source of the law to point fingers

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
We had a WCO here a few years back who suprised a lot of folks because he went where ever the violators went, not only road hunters but the guy trying to sneak one in from "out back of the place". Great guy with kids.

He was always a "cowboy".

He has since retired and is now a member of HPA.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
In answer to the question as to how to "work on the legislators", start reading the Outdoor Issues Forum. But the biggest thing is - take the time of one post and use that time to contact your state elected officials!

See tag line below -

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
When a law is made " Does the BOC have a say; who generates it; I don't think the State Legislature says Oh my lets make this stupid law; someone has to start the process. Who is that someone. That is were change needs to begin. Somehow a law is determined to be needed that is the starting point for the change. Gal and Bluetick you guys seem to be in touch and in the know, shed some light for us. I really don't feel that most of the laws are stupid they all have a reason.

Roadkill permit --- legitimizes a dead deer as roadkill not poached

Found antler, skull permit --- legitimizes a set of antlers as found and not poached the $10.00 per point may be excessive

Requiring a license --- well need not say anything.

I have never had a problem following the law but sometimes it is frustrating.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If you're requiring a license comment was about my situation, you may have read it wrong. I don't think someone should have to have a furtakers if they're not armed.

I should be able to take a buddy out at night and let him run the light or call to see if he enjoys the sport before wasting $20 on a FT's if it's not for him. That's just my opinion and I can see the other side of the coin, I just don't agree with it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Bills to amend the law are generated by either the house or senate. At times the PGC will ask for an amendment, however most are done at the request of a legislators constituent or in response to the PGC not accomadating something the legislator wants. There are times when a legislator will ask the PGC to draft the langauge even for a bill the PGC opposes, at least if the PGC has a hand in drafting the bill damage may be able to be minimised as most bills are put together by a legislative aid who has't a clue how one section of te law can affect another.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
justshoot said:
This is what I know, the law is from the law makers and the law "enforcers" must do their job. If they do not, there is an unemployment line, and other waiting for that vacant slot that need a job. They do have a tuff job. This is not a kiss up or down, I don't know any of the Wardens, even in my own area. Let's work on the lawmakers and change things.
That is Because there are NO Wardens in Any of the Counties of PA...

NOW, your WCOs of Perry county are Steve Hower and Jim Brown...

Steve has the Eastern part of the County...District 4-50-2...Jim has the Western End of the County which is District 4-50-1...

IF you want to meet both WCO Steve Hower or WCO Jim Brown, Go to the Perry County Fair in August and stop by the PGC's Booth they have...Both Steve and Jim are normally there together working the booth and they will be happy to talk your ears off if you talk to them, OR you could call Huntingdon ( (814) 643-1831 ) and ask for your local WCO to call you and I'm betting either 1 of them would be happy to meet you and get to know you!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
John I understand how a bill is drafted. I don't feel that the House and Senate think up all the Game Laws. I feel that the PGC requests some if not most of them. Especially the ones that are debated on this site. The one on found antlers and roadkill I doubt came from constituents crying to their legislator. I am not saying I disagree with the game laws in most cases I agree fully with them. I do not agree with the legislature setting fees and fines. They should have enough confidence in the BOC to allow them to decide if an increase is needed that is a business decision not a law, If they want some control then draft limits on the amount of annual increases. There are study's that can determine the size of increase, The Gross National Product. cost of living, inflation and many more. But laws must come from the House and Senate that was one of the principals of the founding Fathers of our USA.

Later folks I am taking the smoke pole out for it's afternoon walk. saw 4 deer this morning but did not want to deal with a dead deer in that weather LOL.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Justshoot, like bluetick said call or write your elected
officials and tell them you'd like to see some laws changed.
Maybe it will work, maybe it won't but it is how to try to
get changes made. Get a list of others that also would like
to see a certain change made and it might be more convincing
JJJim, I agree with you on the fox hunting issue. If a
person is not shooting, just watching or running lights to
see if they like it they should not need a FT license for
that. I think it is in place because two hunters can share
a gun and claim that the one without a FT license is not
gonna shoot. In most cases this is probably true but if guys knew they could get away with fox/coon hunting
by only having one FT license between them you know they
would do it. I could be wrong but that is why I think that
law is in place.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts