The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if any of you guys would be able to answer this for me. I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. I'm still under the full bumper to bumper warranty,but i want to put a K&N intake on it, would this affect my warranty?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
One thing to be careful, my neighbor put a K&N on his new Chevy truck, and it changed the air flow and had the computer trying to compensate the difference. The truck was running terrible, a trip the dealership and they told him the problem. I hate these new vehicles. The good old days of points, plugs, and condenser and you were good to go.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I had a 2013 Tundra in yesterday( 5.7L engine) with a check engine light on. The code was for the mass air flow sensor out of range. Opened the hood and found a K &N air intake installed was causing the problem. Only 20k miles on the truck but customer had to pay diagnostic charge. Way back in the late 70's when I was in college taking automotive technology I had an instructor who preached this..."anytime you modify one thing, it affects something else." That bit of advice proves true every time. I'd wait until the factory warranty is expired before changing anything involving sensors. To be honest, there's very little if anything to be gained by modifications to these newer truck engines for most driving needs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I work at a Ford dealership and we have trucks come in with small aftermarket modifications all the time (cold air intakes, exhaust, etc). We generally just look the other way, when it becomes a problem is if the aftermarket add on is causing the problem. The only other time it is a problem is if for some reason Ford (or whatever manufacturer) wants to send out an inspector or an engineer for the repair. They can deny your warranty for aftermarket modifications. They only come out on large repairs but that's when you want your warranty most.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Agreed Nick.
I know we have to remove "unacceptable" aftermarket equipment on newer model trade-ins to certify them for resale with a warranty. Trailer hitches, mudflaps,etc. are acceptable but usually suspension modifications/non-factory remote start systems/ engine modifications get removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts