The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't come up with much.

Can anyone give me a heads up on the Viszla as far as a hunter of birds as well as a house dog?

I know they are supposed to be pointing dogs. Can they be trained to work close?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
One of my friends runs viszlas, We hunt birds together, I hunt setters, from what I have seen the breed is hard working and knows what they are supposed to do. While I prefer dogs with tails, I will hunt alongside of his dogs every day of the week.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There were a lot of Viszlas in the dog club of which I was a member. They were good hunting dogs, steady on point. They were also very friendly with people. I suggest you find some Viszla owners and get to know the dogs.

LIke most traits, some are inherited and some are learned. If the parents are close working, then it is more probable that their offspring will be the same. With that said, there are ways to train a dog to hunt close.

·
Administrator
28,500 Posts
Mikail, if you're a facebook user, type the word Hungarian into the search bar there. Also try viszla.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My Viszla, Tessa, is one of the best, smartest dogs I have ever had. She is very loyal, obedient, eager to please, wonderful house dog and great companion. Did I mention some of the neighborhood kids stop by to play with her?

As for hunting? The talk that Viszlas tend to train themselves is real. When we hunt groundhogs she runs the hedgerow, stopping on point with fresh trails, once I acknowlege, she finds the next one, then lays down beside me waiting for me to shoot... all I did was let her molest the first dead groundhog and she figured it out.

When my heart problem left me needing the quad to get around hunting, I thought Tessa would have a problem. Nope. From day one she just trotted along with me.

DO NOT hesitate to get a Viszla! You will love it to death! The only drawback, (and not for me), is they are energetic dogs that need a lot of exersize..... Since I'm painting a too good to be true picture of my Viszla I'll stop here, but trust me, there is more......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts