The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living down in Northern VA. for almost two years now teaching 5th grade students. I miss good old PA. especially my family, friends, and of course the hunting. Since living down here though I've gotten married this past April, bought a new house in January, and has been able to reconnect with a cousin that shares about the same love I do for the outdoors. He has been able to show me the ropes down here and I have been lucky enough to be granted permission to hunt a couple properties so far. The hunting down here is wayyyy different than the big mountain woods that I used to hunt. I have been able to adapt well to the "urban hunting" as they call it down here. I have seen some monstrous buck roaming around the past couple years, but haven't been able to seal the deal yet on anything huge. Just wanted to share the season up until this point...still have some season left to go then it's shed hunting time!!!
Shot her on September 8th with the bow. First deer taken with a Rage and love them!!!

The next deer that fell to the Rage was this basket rack 6pt on October 12th...unbelievable exit hole

The last deer of the season...up to this point... was the first deer taken with a muzzleloader. I was able to pickup a Thompson Center Prohunter FX in the summer and was so glad to get the chance to take this buck. Shot him on November 16th the last 10 min. of shooting light at 20 yards.

Here they are after I completed the Euro mounts

I've enjoyed a great season so far, but it's not over yet!!! I've enjoyed seeing all of the stories and pictures that you all bring to the table. Some awesome bucks taken!!! Thanks for looking and good hunting!!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Va. is treating you well! I grew up in Winchester and hunted in Hayfield and off of RT 522 North. I miss those days, good to hear from the home state.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Browning,

Where are you at in Northern Va? I'm moving to arlington in January, graduating from Penn State and am trying to find areas to hunt down there. I'm looking at hunting clubs and also fort belvoir, and fort AP hill. I wanna drive around and knock on some doors and see if I can get permission on private land, are land owners/farmers receptive down? I've heard stories that getting permission in Va is hard and the owners typically dont care for hunters much.

·
Administrator
30,327 Posts
teej89 said:
Browning,

Where are you at in Northern Va? I'm moving to arlington in January, graduating from Penn State and am trying to find areas to hunt down there. I'm looking at hunting clubs and also fort belvoir, and fort AP hill. I wanna drive around and knock on some doors and see if I can get permission on private land, are land owners/farmers receptive down? I've heard stories that getting permission in Va is hard and the owners typically dont care for hunters much.
Might want to check these guys out. Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia
I started the application process and met a few of the officers, but work kept me from getting involved with them. From what I learned it is a great program.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on a good season! I'm a young PA to VA transplant myself living in Arlington. Have a few teacher friends in the area too. Stuck to PA this season but thinking about doing some scouting down here for archery next year. Learning a new state should be interesting. Make sure you try out the public gun range at the NRA HQ down here, pretty nice!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MackLegacy--Thanks for the info on the range...I will need to check that out!!! It's definatly different hunting down here compared to the big woods that I am used to. The number is deer down here is crazy though. Good luck to you next season

Loridr- Thanks!!! I am in Loudoun Co. at the top of the border. I can be in Maryland in about 25 minutes or so.

Thanks fellas!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday was the lasy day of the season for buck. Doe is still in till March 30th down here, but don't need anymore meat. My brother from N. Carolina hasn't had any luck down his way, so I told him I would try and get him one yesterday. Got lucky, but was able to put one on the ground for him. Isn't the heaviest deer, but I know he will appreciate it!!! That's a wrap for the season. It's kind of disappointing washing the clothes to put them away for a year, but hopefully turkey season will treat me as well as deer season did!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts