The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in a ladder stand at a different property waiting for light. Still pretty windy. Hope to see something today. Other hunters with me saw doe,but they were seen less than 100yds from hard road and I was deeper in. No lack of deer here. See many driving back and forth to hunting locations in fields.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Good luck. I used to hunt Amelia County and the surrounding counties quite a bit when I lived in that part of the state.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing yet for me. Teenage hunter with use just shot and said he dropped a buck chasing a doe.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
That's dog country there. If there are a lot of clubs running dogs in the surrounding properties, you can forget seeing rutting activity. They definitely stir up the deer, but rutting activity subsides from my experience. If they are not running dogs nearby you should be okay seeing normal deer patterns. Wait until you see how small the deer body sizes are. You have to kill a really old buck to get a deer of any body size. But yes nice to hunt during the rut. I've seen a lot of good chasing the last couple days.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was counting on clubs running dogs yesterday to move deer but it was dead. Three bucks seen this morning by two others and the one was a 5 point the kid shot. Wind still
fairly heavy. Don’t like it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's dog country there. If there are a lot of clubs running dogs in the surrounding properties, you can forget seeing rutting activity. They definitely stir up the deer, but rutting activity subsides from my experience. If they are not running dogs nearby you should be okay seeing normal deer patterns. Wait until you see how small the deer body sizes are. You have to kill a really old buck to get a deer of any body size. But yes nice to hunt during the rut. I've seen a lot of good chasing the last couple days.
Bucks I have seen people have gotten were pretty descent size. I was surprised. High racks. Big bodies.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still nothing. 1 1/2 days on stand and nothing. Only one not to see anything. Guess they know there is a Yankee in the tree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts