The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 3500lbs Viper Extreme. Anyone have any experience with them? I read a bunch of stuff on them and it seems the vast majority of folks are happy with them. Like everything else these days (including Warn winches), they are made with Chinese parts but they come with a full 1 year warranty. The thing that impressed me was all the positive feed back about their customer service. There were even a few ATV message boards where the CEO of the company was registered and answered all kinds of questions and addressed any concerns. I'll update and let you all know how it performs, instillation, etc. (Wiring stuff makes me very nervous. All I know about electricity is if you do it wrong, it hurts real bad!
) Got a real good deal on ebay. Complete kit, including a mounting plate specifically for my Mule 610 for $185. I figure for as little as I'll use it, it should last a good while.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Let us know aim in the market for one to and hear that the wiring is tricky but same as you i hear the viper is great.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it today. Pretty fast, just ordered it Sunday night. All in all it doesn't look too tricky. The directions are pretty specific and there are some photos of it on a bench showing how it is supposed to be wired. Without having the mule right in front of me,(I keep it at camp) I'm not real sure how the mounting plate goes on. I may buy class #8 "U" clamps to replace the stock ones, though. Biggest thing will be how to mount the switch. I don't have handlebars on the mule!

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Viper Winches...Update

Directions said it would take 3 hours. It only took me 2....DAYS! First off, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Secondly, I don't have a sweet set of tools, third, the directions were <u>very </u> basic! To start off, I removed the bumper and mounted the winch plate as directed. It came with 4 U bolts and nylon lined nuts. I didn't have any deep well sockets. All I had was a box wrench. So, after tightening everything up (took about an hour with that little wrench and limited space to turn it), I tried to mount the winch but it wouldn't fit in through the alotted space. No matter how I turned and twisted it, it would not fit! I had to loosen everything back up again!. I got the winch in there and decided to heck with this, and ran into town and bought a ratcheting box wrench. With the winch in there, there was no room for a deep well socket. So, I get everything mounted and tightened up. I start to run the wires and found a good way to do that. When I went to connect the wire to the top post of the winch, I found due to the tube frame of the Mule, I could loosen the nut all the way but there wasn't enough room to take it off the post! So, I cut a notch in the lead with a pair of side cutters and slid it on the post. By this time I was about 4 hrs in to it and it started to thunder and lightning. I got everything picked up in the yard and called it quits for the night. The next day I was ready to tackle the wiring aspect of it. I positioned the contactor panel under the seat where it would stay dry. I then looked at the directions and saw I needed to wire the rocker switch and cable remote plug to the ignition wire. Hoo, boy! About all I know about electric is, if you do it wrong, it hurts! After stabbing myself in the thumb three times I found the ignition wire. I decided to remove the front trunk of the mule (They are kind of like the old VW Bugs, trunk in the front) 15 screws and its off. It was at that time I discovered had I done that in the first place, mounting everything would have been so much easier. After removing the trunk, it went pretty quickly. I mounted the rocker switch right on the steering column. Its set up to mount on a set of handle bars so it fit on the solid shaft perfectly. The cable remote plug was mounted in the glove box. I got everything hooked up and put back together. I relined the spool under tension like directed and did so by pulling the mule up about a 30 deg slope. It pulled it up with no problem. I even got to play around with it and winched some 6' logs up over a hill for a buddy. All in all I had about 8 hrs into it. A friend of mine has a mule 610 as well and I told her if she bought a winch, I bet I could mount that one in about 3 hours, knowing what I know now. Here she sits, all mounted and put back together.

·
Registered
655 Posts

Ive got the 3500lb Viper winch on my 07 Honda Rancher 400...never had a problem with it yet, and its got me unstuck quite a few times, the only thing I did was replace the cable with a synthetic one. Wont rust or fray like the wire cable did.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I plan on getting the synthetic cable as well. my uncle got one for his Warn and its pretty much trouble free.

·
Registered
655 Posts

Yeah the synthetic is so much nicer, I had such a hard time pulling out the steel cable after a few times of getting mud and water all over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts