The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
got a question. this was thrown at me today and could not completely answer it.
if you were givin a ww2 pistol and later found that had no serial number on it because it was filed off years ago around ww2 can that person still suffer dire conseqeances? or would everything need to be verified that it took place years ago and it be givin a new number to be kept on file.the pistol was givin to the guy years ago by his uncle who served in the us armed forces back then.the uncle had passed on and is buried in military cemetery.i read that they didn't start keeping track of serial numbers until 1968.guy I know is calling sheriffs dept this week to see what they say.i heard he could be issued a new number stamped on the firearm and kept on file.i read bout a guy who had this problem to and said the police when he called couldn't answer his question they had no clue.he was directed to the ATF and couldn't get answers there either.any info would help.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Why was the number filed off in the first place? That brings up red flags, like it could have been stolen at some point.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy called the sheriffs dept, told them bout the gun he has had for several years now.turns out hes leagal and nothing can be done bout it.reason nothing can be done about it, sherriff said the state of PA does not have a gun registry, we do not register our guns.so therefore sherriff said if a gun is passed on or inherited like what happened here, there is nothing that can be done and the person who has possession of the firearm is free to take it to the range, hunting, personal protection,ect with no repercussions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts