The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a sxs to replace my polaris sportsman 850xp. Ive risen both, but I'm leaning towards the viking. The pioneer seemed a bit cramped for me. Anyone have one of these machines? Main uses will be trail riding, foodplots, and habitat management. Occasional night predator hunting instead of using truck and walking all night. Thanks for any input.

Bob

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My vote goes to the Yamaha . The Yamaha Rhino drivetrain has been around a long time and has all the bugs worked out . I own a Kawasaki and have alot of respect for Yamaha .

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My neighbor has one and likes it. He says his is alot louder than my Polaris ranger. I rode in it. Its nice but I can really tell his handles a bit better than mine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jk, tell your neighbor that yamaha has a sound dampening kit for like 50 bucks. The 2015 got them installed from factory I believe. They fit the 14's as well. Everything I've read says its night and day.

Bob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Honda is all low range. It pulled my buried one ton dump truck outta my garden. Low enough for ya? Either one ya can't go wrong. Honda's drivetrain is also proven. Been around for years. I do all the same things with my 700-4 that you wanna do. Absolutely perfect for those things. The logs I've skidded we're impressive. The convertible seats are great. I'm 6'2" and 225 and am plenty comfortable in back. Be careful of listening to people who don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It needs a selectable hi and low range like all their quads. I have a '07 foreman.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I have 2 Yamaha Rhinos and a Can Am Commander. Love both of the Rhinos and never had any issues with them. I wanted a new one for my personal one this year, and I chose the Can Am as I feel they are the new and improved version of what a rhino was.
Love the Can Am so far. I didn't like the new Yamaha only due to how big it is. It is probably fine if the trails you ride are mostly log roads or wider, just to big for the places I ride.

Not sure about the new Honda. Obviously Honda has been around a long time, but everything they produced in the side x side market was extremely under whelming, and years behind what the others were making. Maybe they stepped it up ?????

I would look close at the Can Am commander before you pull the trigger on a new machine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can am's are junk. Most broken machine on the trails and absolutely worthless for work. Reread original post. My honda will outlive that rat can am twice over.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I ride with 3 other ones. They had theirs for 2 years. Not a single issue.
As I said, maybe Honda stepped it up, and they certainly needed to. For all the good dirt bikes and ATV;s they built over the years, their previous side x sides were a disgrace to the name. Sounds like they may have a few new versions coming out, and I am glad to see Honda finally getting into the UTV game on a serious note. Time will tell if they hold up. Good luck with your Honda........

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I ride a lot and sell insurance.I have a couple dozen can am commanders insured and other than not holding up well when you center punch a tree or roll them over a few times,I haven't heard of many issues with them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's good. For what ya pay for them there should never be an issue. I guess the motor and suspension and drivetrain, tranny issues were made up. My mistake. Just don't want someone to buy an overpriced toy, cuz that's all it's good for. Great subdivision toy I'm sure. Sometimes free opinions are worth just that. Once again read original post. He needs something that will work. That dune buggy won't. And we don't have dunes. OP, stick with Polaris, Yamaha, honda and no worries.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You insure mechanical? And another reason not to ask advice here. Insurance salesman giving tips. God help us.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
ok lightning84, you have the shiniest marble on the playground, and no one else's opinion or experience counts........we get it........

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
Lightning84 said:
You insure mechanical? And another reason not to ask advice here. Insurance salesman giving tips. God help us.
Point out where I gave anyone advise.I personally know quite a few people who have them and have ridden with quite a few of them.I've yet to hear anyone complain about mechanical issues.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
o the OP. If your choices are Honda or Yamaha, I found this on youtube. It is done by Yamaha , so a little biased, but I also watched several other videos and read reviews, and for the most part, this video seems to be on par.

http://youtu.be/ayGWeT67aGU

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advise. I have herd good and bad on both. As well as can am. By bro in law has an outlander 800. Has issues like them all. As of now the Honda is out. Not what I'm looking for. So it's a viking or commander. Gotta ride them both with the wife to make a decision. Thanks for the input.

Bob

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Lightning84, can you tell me why can am swept every podium at the final GNCC in Indiana? Every one! I guess its cause the skinny pedal on the popos was broke like most of their buggies. POPOs are and always will be way over priced. Also rzrs aren't even close to the work horse a commander is. Commanders are sport utility. They fit the bill in both instances. Honda SxS are pathetic. Might as well get a 4x4 golf cart. I've yet to see a viking in the woods to compare to. The rinos were quality machines. I just believe the prices they are all approaching require them to have all the bells and whistles. Theres always TERYX too but they leave alot to be desired in comfort and power. Wildcats are huge unless its the trail model then you know your giving up alot of handling and ride to be narrow in the woods. I've seen them all. Rode most and have a family member whose parents own a dealership and hes a sponsored SxS racer for can am. Trust me when I say the commander is the most work and play ready out of the box. Period. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You sound like a fanboy moneessen person. You're a city boy, what could you know? I don't converse with such. Wastes my time.
Learn to read buzzy. never said mine was best. My buddies Polaris' 6 seaters have been great. Their power is impressive.
The rhinos I've been around were nice too.
Kubotas, jd, cub cadet were horrendous for anything other than farmwork.
Crap am's are 120* in the cab, feel like they are gonna roll constantly, can't hold a conversation cuz of the horrendous belt drive between ya, and yeah, I can see a pile of work getting done with the 1 foot bed. What a joke.
Mine works perfectly for me but there are some things I would definitely change. I use mine for firewood, habitat, hanging stands, orchard work, and trail riding. It'll almost do 45mph and that is fast enough form me.
There's an [censored] for every seat, and ya can't fix stupid when ya got more money than brains.
I've wasted enough time here. Later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts