The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening as I proceeded home and reached a point about a half mile from home I saw what appeared to be a cat walking unsteadily up the center of the road. As I got closer it turned to the side and I could see it was a fox with barely any fur. It wobbled from side to side and eventually wandered into my neighbor's pasture and walked right up to one of his calves and laid down. a few feet from the calf. I saw the neighbor out and told him about it. He said there are four extremely sick foxes that act like that. He has gone down with the rifle but never sees them. I really don't want any mange in my stock. and this was just a quarter mile from the end of my pasture.

I figure I probably can not legally put them down. Do I notify the WCO? If so what will he or she do? In the past, I figured that if I had proof of a sick animal, if charged the Magistrate would likley overlook it anyway, but now with the new law going into effect, diseased animals that present a danger to domestic stock need to be addressed in a way less than possible jail time and steep fines.

I hate poachers, but don't want to become one for doing a public service.

·
Super Moderator
14,556 Posts
Call the Game Commission’s regional Office, explain the situation and be guided by their advice. I suspect they will have a WCO call you.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
RSB
Isn't it more often than not distemper vs Rabies???
I talked to a WCO a few years ago when we had a fox hanging around acting goofy--he came out and dispatched it and told me it is usually distemper.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
14,556 Posts
DCabets28 said:
RSB
Isn't it more often than not distemper vs Rabies???
I talked to a WCO a few years ago when we had a fox hanging around acting goofy--he came out and dispatched it and told me it is usually distemper.
Dave
It could be either. It sounds like the fox presently in question is most likely one with mange.

There are a number of diseases that affect various wildlife species. Many of them become more prevalent when populations are too high. Trapping and hunting of the furbearers helps to control the spread and even the occurrence of disease.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
BY the time you get action from the red tape brigade, mange or distemper will have spread into the whole area. shoot, burn carcass, shovel, and shutup.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well one down, apparently couldn't out run a tire. But whoever left it lay. I went back and pitchforked it into a metal 5 gal bucket and it is now burning away. It was smashed too flat or I would have called the local paper and reported a Chupacabra.

·
Registered
835 Posts
game warden came to our club meeting last wed.said near GEORGETOWN a rabid fox attacked and bit a woman in her yard --he said if any one see's a critter acting real weird to shoot it

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
(c) Diseased or sick wildlife.

(1) Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when it is obvious that an animal is sick or diseased and poses a threat to human safety, farm animals or pets.

(2) The wildlife may only be taken by, or under the direct supervision of, the person in charge of the property where the threat exists.

(3) The wildlife shall be taken in a safe, expeditious and lawful manner.

(d) Disposition of diseased or sick wildlife.

(1) Wildlife taken under authority of subsection (c) shall be disposed of in one of the following ways:

(i) Buried on the site where taken.

(ii) Destroyed by incineration or other proper disposal.

(iii) Submitted for laboratory analysis.

(2) Wildlife or parts thereof taken under subsection (c) may not be retained alive, sold or given away.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
I was told by the PGC to dispatch, using the proper protocol, when I had issues with sick raccoons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts