The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone eat them?

My mushroom ID books show them as edible, but I'm not so sure...

My sons tossed a few in the bag when we were out picking and, after I caught the mistake and made the ID, started to wonder.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wouldn't eat the verpas, I've read that the toxins from them can build up over time. So even though you might eat them & be fine the first 99 times number 100 could be toxic!I did just plow down some half-frees for the first time though!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
suskyducker said:
To clarify, this is the type of mushroom that I am Identifying as Verpa Bohemica.

The head is not completely attached to the stem. It isn't a true morel, and it doesn't look like the half-frees illustrated nor does it meet the other identifying characteristics.

Have I misidentified this mushroom?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Those my friend are half-frees. Edible, but I don't care for them, and I walk past them.

Do this. Cut the stalk from the cap, then cut the stalk lengthwise. It should be completely hollow. In other words, it won't have a cotton-like, or fibrous thread-like substance inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The verpas look like a smooth thimbel size brown fungi on the white stem. Just found my first one ever on Sunday. Wish I took a picture. I forget the name but I also found the look a like fungi that is solid and about the size of a baseball. The outside look about exactly like a morel but its not a morel. Plenty of good sites out there to help identify these none edible morel look a likes. I will ask my buddy what site he uses and try to get a link up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always thought they were half-frees as well, but I did a little research and was convinced they were actually not true morels, but Verpas as I said.

They are hollow and not filled with the cottony stuff that gyromitras have inside.

Thanks, Fleroo.

Fleroo said:
Those my friend are half-frees. Edible, but I don't care for them, and I walk past them.

Do this. Cut the stalk from the cap, then cut the stalk lengthwise. It should be completely hollow. In other words, it won't have a cotton-like, or fibrous thread-like substance inside.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've found those, too.

Left them alone.

BDoc said:
The verpas look like a smooth thimbel size brown fungi on the white stem. Just found my first one ever on Sunday. Wish I took a picture. I forget the name but I also found the look a like fungi that is solid and about the size of a baseball. The outside look about exactly like a morel but its not a morel. Plenty of good sites out there to help identify these none edible morel look a likes. I will ask my buddy what site he uses and try to get a link up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts