The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of years I have been contemplating a supplemental heat source for my house and have asked question about pellet stoves and such. However Im now thinking ventless would be a better route based on the layout of my house and the pain it would be to run venting and what not.

So anyways, I have been looking at some ventless wall units and have a question about thermostats. I want to put this in my basement in hopes that it will heat keep my 1st floor a little warmer. As it is now, my first floor is always chilly and drafty due to the basement being so cold. It looks like most of these units (at least the ones I have seen) have a thermostat knob with settings 1-5, I would like to wire a thermostat up instead to have the unit turn on when my first floor drops to a specific temp, not the temp of the basement if that makes sense.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I understand what you are saying and I suppose it could be done but why don't you just adjust the setting on the unit to coincide with the temp you want on the 2nd floor? It may take a few trys but you wouldn't have to redo anything. I have a ventless unit at camp and I know right where I need to set it to reach that 70 degree mark at the camp

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that would work, the only issue I would have is that the basement is always about 55 degrees so I wonder if I will be able to find that sweet spot without having the thing run nonstop. I dont care what the temp is in the basement, I just want to take the draft off of the 1st floor and hope the heat just rises up through natural cracks and crevices of the house.

Am I trying to go about this the wrong way? I know I could insulate the floor but there are so many pipes and wires running between the joists that it would be a pain. Is there a better option? Just a little background. My house is a 1930s-40s era house that I newly renovated and re-insulated. The basement is a full stone foundation wall with about 2 feet or so exposed with 5 small high efficiency windows. Due to the exposedness (i assume since my dads house is setup similar with the entire basement underground and its no where near as cold) of the basement its COLD in there (55ish).

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I have one in the basement and I keep it on #1 and its 59 in the basement and in the upper level its 67.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
I have one in my house and it really came in handy during Hurricane Sandy, when my power was out for 5 days. I've never seen one though that could be hooked up to an external thermostat. Most of the ones I've looked at have a built in thermocouple that controls the on/off of the heater.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Ben do you ever get an odor from the stove?My son just put one in his basement and we're getting an odor.It's been burning for a straight week so the oils and such should be burned off.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like this will work for me. Retired, on the setting of 1 how much does it run? Is it constant or will it kick on and off?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It doesn't run all the time,once it hits the temp setting,it turns off and will stay off untill the temp falls.The pilot lite is always on.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have very similar setting as you (cold basement...) about how long does it run to get to temp...about how long until it runs a second time...

I dont know enough about these units to determine if this is really something I should be doing or if there is a better option out there

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't time it I just turn it on and forget it,as long as it stay warm I'am fine with mine.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Threeinchmag, is it a wall heater only (no ceramic logs or a fireplace)? If so, it should be running clean. If he has ceramic logs, replace them, some are 'fumey' and some are not, in my experience.

1) If it's a wall heater, disasemmble and clean the glass cover with warm soapy water only. Rinse well. Make sure you leave no residue. Then take a vacuum to the entire unit, making sure you get all the dust out.

2) Is he burning scented candles or plug-in air fresheners in the house? If so, that could be the culprit. Had the same problem, removed candles, problem gone. These things will burn up any foreign fumes in a home.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
171, do you by chance have a door at the bottom of the basement stairs? I have two heaters in my basement. My experience is this: The one that's furtherest from the steps keeps the basement a more consistent temp. The one near the steps, well, the hot air rushes to the top of the steps and gets stopped at the door. So I would suggest, if you're looking to warm the whole floor, place the unit as far from the stairway as possible. Or somehow enclose or put a door at the bottom of the steps, to keep the air trapped at a consistent ceiling height.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Thanks bates.He is using scented candles so I wondered about that.We'll remove those and see what happens.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't have a camp, but my home is total electric. I was paying 500 to 600 dollars a month for electric in the winter 22 years ago. I installed two ventless heaters (one is a wall heater in the kitchen/family room, the other in a fireplace surround in the living room/dining room). My basement is unheated (although I do have a wall heater down there which I have never used). My winter time electric bill has been under 200 dollars (sometimes well under), my house stays warm and I use less than 400 gallons of propane a year. These vent free units are all 100% heat-no waste. Just remember to open a door every once in a while to keep fresh air in as they can deplete the oxygen supply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts