The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Eastern subspecies seems right at home in our backyard. We didn’t know Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis was venomous until we read this.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When I was about 12 years old, I was bitten by a garter snake. I had been teasing it. My mother put idoine on it, but a few days later, it was really swollen and I made a trip to the family doctor. He treated it with anti biotics and it healed. The doctor opined that the wound was infected by bacteria, possibly from his digestive fluids. Now I am wondering if it might have been this mild toxic mentioned in the article.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Awesome pic and thanks for the link. I knew there was some toxin found in the Hog Nose Snakes. I have had some Garters get mad enough to start "sawing" at my hand. They work those teeth in and man does it itch later.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I don't know about the qualification of the bite being toxic as in the Garter's having venom sacs and hollow fangs or teeth to deliver the juice. However, everyone needs to be aware of anafalatic shock and make a habbit of carrying a couple of fresh dyphenhydramene pills when hunting or hiking. Heck, whenever you're in the woods.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Cool pic, remember that Wikipedia is not the gospel. I can go in there and change it to say that snake will kill you in 2 seconds and anyone else can change it to say whatever they want. Seems to be right in this case though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts